Travel Agenda: Mongolian festival of Naadam; InterContinental's new style-driven brand; Womad Festival
Saturday 11 July 2009
The Mongolian festival of Naadam takes place in Ulaanbaatar – a day of horse racing, wrestling and archery. This year it will also be celebrated in Islington, London, as a charity car rally sets off for the central Asian nation. Expect traditional games, music and food (mongolia.charityrallies.org).
InterContinental's new style-driven brand comes to the Gaslamp quarter of San Diego on Monday. The Hotel Indigo features a glass sculpture by a local artist and environmental policies (ichotelsgroup.com). France celebrates Bastille Day on Tuesday with fireworks and parades (franceguide.com).
One French offering that will be open on Tuesday is the first outpost of Sofitel hotels' So Spa brand, at the Sofitel St James hotel in London (sofitel.com). And you need only travel as far as Edinburgh to enjoy a Taste of Spain. Regional food, plus music and cultural activities will take to The Mound from Friday to Sunday (tastespain.info).
In the diary...
The Womad Festival, celebrating music from all corners of the globe, will be at Charlton Park in Wiltshire from 24-26 July. Performers include founder Peter Gabriel, Solomon Burke, Zambezi Express and the Skatalites (womad.org).
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Data Management & ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...