Travel Agenda: National Maritime Museum Cornwall; San Francisco's Asian Art Museum; Amanyara resort
Saturday 06 February 2010
Today: Throw light on the towers that protect ships from hazardous coastlines: the National Maritime Museum Cornwall in Falmouth opens an exhibition entitled "Lighthouses: Life on the Rocks". Running for two years, it will display a four-ton optic, reconstructed living quarters, artefacts, photos and narratives (nmmc.co.uk).
This week: The Asian Art Museum in San Francisco is staging a Shanghai exhibition. Opening on Friday (until 5 September), it will show art documenting the city's changing face over the last century (asianart.org). If you can't make it to carnival in Brazil, then get into the spirit in London. The London School of Samba has a parade on Friday, followed by a masked ball and a five days of live music at Guanabara bar in Theatreland (guanabara.co.uk).
In the diary: The luxurious Amanyara resort in the Turks and Caicos hosts world free-diving champion Tanya Streeter from 20-27 February. She will take guests on free-diving sessions and share her experiences of diving with humpback whales (amanresorts.com).
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan in new celebrity hacking attack weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 4 Matthew Miller: American sentenced to hard labour in North Korea 'wanted to be Snowden II'
- 5 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...