Travel in 2013: Holidays for stay-at-homes
Kate Simon is the Travel Correspondent of The Independent and The Independent on Sunday. She was Travel Editor of The Independent on Sunday from 2005 to 2011. Kate is also the co-founder of Little Black Book Creative (www.lbbcreative.co.uk), which offers editorial services, media relations consultancy and travel-writing training.
Sunday 30 December 2012
Anniversary celebrations continue until autumn in East Anglia to mark the birth of composer Benjamin Britten on 22 November 1913 (britten aldeburgh.co.uk).
Events are taking place in Suffolk and Norfolk, though Aldeburgh and Snape Maltings provide the hub for activities. Three nights in a self-catering cottage at Snape Maltings starts at £345 during the Aldeburgh Festival in June with Suffolk Secrets (01502 722717; suffolk-secrets.co.uk). Hoseasons (0844 847 1100; hoseasons.co.uk) has new cottage breaks. The “Daisy Door” collection offers a halfway house between holiday cottage and holiday park. Choose from Cornwall, Ayrshire, Yorkshire or the Isle of Wight. A week's stay at Kilminorth Cottages in Cornwall in a house sleeping five costs from £495.
Five new cycle routes of between 17km and 30km are being launched in the western Lake District. Download free route notes at golakes.co.uk/onwheels. And the South West Coast Path is introducing new spring walks that start at railway stations, such as the 7km “St Ives Station to Lelant” stroll above St Ives Bay (southwest coastpath.com/railwaywalks).
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working on international markets without ge...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...