Travelers brace for three day strike
Saturday 20 March 2010
British Airways workers are set to walk out on a three day strike at midnight GMT on Friday March 19.
The strike is set to disrupt flights across the weekend, with a reported 1,100 flights set to be cancelled, particularly in Europe. BA says that it will "strengthen its contingency plans" and that it hopes to fly 60 percent of customers as planned.
For those hit by the strike, BA chief Willie Walsh said earlier this week that thousands of passengers would be rebooked onto alternative BA flights or onto rival airlines.
Ryanair has launched a £69 (€76) "rescue fare" (one way including taxes and charges) for BA passengers hit by the strikes, although it says that availability is limited as most Ryanair flights are already heavily booked through the weekend.
Information for passengers travelling on British Airways flights
All travelers are advised to check the British Airways website (http://www.ba.com) before leaving for the airport. If a flight has been cancelled, passengers should not come to the airport.
Passenger booked on cancelled flights will be able to rebook onto another British Airways flight within 355 days of the original date of travel at no extra charge, choose a nearby airport, or cancel and claim a refund on their ticket.
• The airline will operate a full schedule of longhaul services at London Gatwick, and over half of shorthaul flights
• 60 percent of longhaul flights from Heathrow are expected to operate, although around 70 percent of shorthaul flights will be cancelled
• Flights operated to and from London City will operate as normal
• Flights operated by subsidiary OpenSkies (Paris to New York), British Airways franchise partners (South African Comair and Scandinavia's Sun Air) and all codeshare flights operated by other carriers will operate as normal.
British Airways Contact Details
In the UK - 0800 727 800 Open 06:00 - 20:00 7 days a week
In the US - 1 800 247 9297 (1 800 AIRWAYS) Open 07:00 - 01:00 EST 7 days a week
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...