Vietnam Airlines to link former Saigon with Beijing
Friday 03 December 2010
Vietnam's national carrier will fly directly between the country's business hub, Ho Chi Minh City, and Beijing starting mid-December, the airline said Wednesday.
China is Vietnam's biggest trading partner and Vietnam Airlines already flies between the capital cities of the two communist neighbours.
But the state-owned carrier will now "become the first airline to fly non-stop between Ho Chi Minh City and Beijing", Vietnam Airlines said in a statement.
There will be three flights a week from December 16, it said.
Vietnam Airlines - a member of the SkyTeam airline alliance that includes Air France and America's Delta Airlines - has set out to become one of Southeast Asia's leading carriers.
It aims to transport 12 million passengers this year and to boost its fleet from 70 to 115 aircraft by 2015.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...
£22300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum group is looking for a Payro...