Warning of heightened terror threat in Kenya
Saturday 07 January 2012
The Foreign Office is urging Britons in Kenya to be extra vigilant, warning that terrorists there may be "in the final stages of planning attacks."
The ministry said in travel advice issued today that attacks could be indiscriminate and could target places where expatriates and foreign travelers gather, including hotels, shopping centers and beaches.
Kenya's military has been fighting militant fighters from the al-Shabab group in neighboring Somalia. Kenyan troops entered Somalia in mid-October to attack the militants, and have been supported by the country's weak army.
Since then, Ethiopian troops have entered Somalia on the country's west, and they along with African Union troops in Mogadishu are squeezing al-Shabab fighters on three sides.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
- 2 Fifa corruption arrests: Nike reported to be 'multinational sportswear company' at centre of bribery claims over Brazil shirt deal
- 3 Facebook Messenger sends 'creepily' precise location data, as revealed by Marauders Map Chrome extension
- 4 Photo of wedding guest proposing to girlfriend in front of bride and groom goes viral
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: it's just gravity — not a Mexican demon being summoned
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...