Write a travel article and win a holiday
Sunday 16 May 2004
Can you write a great travel article? If so, don't miss the chance to enter our 'Independent on Sunday'/ Bradt travel-writing competition. First prize is a week for two in Bosnia - and the winning article will be published in the 'IoS' TimeOff section.
Can you write a great travel article? If so, don't miss the chance to enter our 'Independent on Sunday'/ Bradt travel-writing competition. First prize is a week for two in Bosnia and the winning article will be published in the 'IoS' TimeOff section.
We have teamed up with Bradt Travel Guides to mark their 30th anniversary as the pioneering publishers of outstanding guides to off-beat places. A new Bradt guide to Bosnia a fast-emerging destination is published this month.
The competition is open to all writers, published or unpublished. In keeping with the theme of Bradt's longevity and the emergence of Bosnia, the title we have chosen for the article is "We've Come a Long Way". This can be interpreted as widely as you like, with the choice of a physical or a spiritual journey, but it must have a travel theme. Your entry must be a true account of your own experience, written in the first person. It must not exceed 800 words in length.
The first prize is a week's holiday for two people in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It includes the return airfare from London to Sarajevo, accommodation with half board, airport transfers, Sarajevo and Mostar city tours, a day on the Adriatic Coast, and a magical journey into the crossroads of eastern and western civilisations. For the more adventurous there is white-water rafting down one of Europe's deepest canyons or canoeing on the Trebizat River. If you are a winter-sports enthusiast, Olympic-style skiing awaits you at Jahorina and Bjelasnica Mountains. These ski resorts hosted the 1984 Winter Olympics and offer the best skiing in southern Europe.
The holiday has been sponsored by Green Visions, Fortuna Tours, and the Sarajevo Canton Tourism Association. Green Visions ( firstname.lastname@example.org, and website: www.greenvisions.ba) is an eco-tourism company based in Sarajevo, and run by Tim Clancy, author of Bosnia and Herzegovina: The Bradt Travel Guide, published this month. Fortuna Tours is Bosnia and Herzegovina's leading tour operator and a Herzegovina specialist.
The judges will be the editorial staff of Bradt Travel Guides and the travel editors of The Independent on Sunday. The final winner will be selected by Lord Ashdown (Paddy Ashdown), the High Representative for Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The closing date is Friday, 18 June 2004. The six shortlisted entrants will be notified by Friday 2 July. They will be invited to Bradt's 30th anniversary reception in London on 14 July, where the winner will be announced. The winning article will be published in The Independent on Sunday on 18 July. The five runners-up will each receive two Bradt guides of their choice.
1) The competition is open to all writers, previously published or not, other than current employees, or their immediate family, of Bradt Travel Guides Ltd or The Independent on Sunday. No purchase is necessary.
2) Only one entry per person.
3) The essay must be no longer than 800 words and must be typed with double-line spacing on one side of A4 sheets of paper. We cannot return entries.
4) To preserve anonymity you must not write your name on the article.
5) The essay must have an identifying tag word (not your name) on the top right-hand side of each page. You should also write this word on the front of a sealed envelope, inside which should be a sheet of paper with your name, address, and telephone number. The envelope should be stapled to the back of the article.
6) Your entry must not have been entered in any other competition anywhere in the world, or have previously been published.
7) The article must be the original work of the entrant who must be the sole copyright holder.
8) The entry of any article for the competition shall constitute a grant to 'The Independent on Sunday' and Bradt Travel Guides the right to publish, distribute and syndicate the essay whether in print, electronic, online or any other medium, on any website and in any database, archive or library, on- or off-line, and in any media.
9) The competition organisers reserve the right to withhold prizes in whole or in part if, in the sole opinion of the judges, the standard of the entries so warrants.
10) The judges' opinion is final. No correspondence will be entered into concerning the final choice of winners.
11) The holiday prize must be taken by the winner within 12 months of the winner being announced. There are no cash alternatives to the prizes, and they cannot be transferred.
12) Entries must be sent to Bradt Travel Guides (Travel Writing Competition), 19 High Street, Chalfont St Peter, Bucks SL9 9QE. Emailed entries will not be accepted.
13) All entries must be received by noon on the closing date, Friday 18 June.
14) The shortlisted entrants will be notified by telephone by Friday 2 July, and the winning article published in 'The Independent on Sunday' on 18 July.
15) Please refer to www.independent.co.uk/legal for terms and conditions relating to newspaper competition rules.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 An obsessive’s documenting of Israeli war crimes in Lebanon can show us how the West lost respect for international law
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Data Management & ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...