Saturday 19 July 1997
This quaint and quiet 17th-century thatched country pub is located near the river Ouse, and is in a delightful village. The Swan's extensive and varied menu includes a few pub stand-bys, such as ploughman's platters and sandwiches, but predominantly features home-cooked fare using fresh local ingredients, especially fish and game, and is supplemented by good daily blackboard specials.
Choices include chilli-braised mushrooms on a bed of noodles for starters, venison in red wine, and unusual Oriental dishes such as teriyaki beef. There are also vegetarian options. Puddings include St Clement's sponge and apple pie.
Future plans for the large garden include a pets' corner and a children's play area.
From the Egon Ronay Guide `And Children Come Too ...' (Bookman, pounds 9.99)
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
- 5 Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
£50 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Affiliate Marketing Manager / Affiliate Mana...
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...