Saturday 06 January 1996
Davos/ Klosters looked snowy on the mid-week TV pictures of the latest Royal skiing incident, but the lower runs here, as elsewhere in Switzerland, are scratchy at best. The heaviest French falls have mostly been in the south (Alpe d'Huez), with resort-level depths of 50cm to one metre; in the mega-resorts of Savoie, cover at resort level is generally no more than adequate - but Val d'Isere/ Tignes has had a more serious dump than its neighbours.
Further north in Haute Savoie the lower resorts have problems, La Clusaz, for example, is only half-open. Italy has had a share in the recent falls, but rain at lower altitudes around Christmas did some damage. Across the pond, there's fresh snow in Colorado - and in western Canada. More snow looks likely this week both in the Alps and the Rockies.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Lego breaks out of the toy box and heads for the gallery
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Piers Morgan attempts to save the Union by promising to go back to the US if Scotland votes 'No' to independence
- 4 Tyler, The Creator says having new U2 album automatically downloaded on his iPhone was 'like waking up with herpes'
- 5 Grandmas keep accidentally tagging themselves as Grandmaster Flash on Facebook
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
George Galloway on Scottish independence: The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Scottish independence: Britain faces 'constitutional crisis' at next election
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...