something to declare
Saturday 29 June 1996
Five-point plan from our woman in the Foreign Office on staying safe in Florida
1. Do not wear ostentatious jewellery, and avoid walking in obviously run-down areas.
2. If arriving at night, take a taxi to your hotel and collect your hire car the next day.
3. Drive on main highways and use well-lit car parks.
4. Do not stop if your car is bumped from behind. Instead, indicate to the other driver to follow you to the nearest public area and call for police assistance.
5. Do not sleep in your car on the roadside or in rest areas.
Travel advice for many other destinations is available from the Foreign Office on 0171-238 4503, http://www.fco.gov.uk/ on the Internet, and on BBC-2 Ceefax page 564 onwards.
True or False
"The summer of '75 was even better than the one in '59"
True. Sir Clough William-Ellis, the architect behind Portmeirion, was clearly a man with a sunny disposition. On a column bearing a statue of Atlas, he applied a plaque inscribed in fine italic "To The Summer of 1959 in Honour of its Splendour". Beneath that, 1971 is "Highly Commended". Then, "1975 Excelled Even 1959".
The best was yet to come. The adjacent face of the column bears the simple message "1976 - Nonesuch".
Bargain of the week
The usual business class fare from London to Halifax, Nova Scotia is pounds 2,100 return. But Icelandair (0171-388 5599) is promoting its new service to the Canadian gateway with a pounds 799 fare until 2 September. You have to stay overnight in Reykjavik on the way out, but the airline throws in a free stay at a hotel in the Icelandic capital.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...
£23000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This successful group of compan...