something to declare
Saturday 29 June 1996
Five-point plan from our woman in the Foreign Office on staying safe in Florida
1. Do not wear ostentatious jewellery, and avoid walking in obviously run-down areas.
2. If arriving at night, take a taxi to your hotel and collect your hire car the next day.
3. Drive on main highways and use well-lit car parks.
4. Do not stop if your car is bumped from behind. Instead, indicate to the other driver to follow you to the nearest public area and call for police assistance.
5. Do not sleep in your car on the roadside or in rest areas.
Travel advice for many other destinations is available from the Foreign Office on 0171-238 4503, http://www.fco.gov.uk/ on the Internet, and on BBC-2 Ceefax page 564 onwards.
True or False
"The summer of '75 was even better than the one in '59"
True. Sir Clough William-Ellis, the architect behind Portmeirion, was clearly a man with a sunny disposition. On a column bearing a statue of Atlas, he applied a plaque inscribed in fine italic "To The Summer of 1959 in Honour of its Splendour". Beneath that, 1971 is "Highly Commended". Then, "1975 Excelled Even 1959".
The best was yet to come. The adjacent face of the column bears the simple message "1976 - Nonesuch".
Bargain of the week
The usual business class fare from London to Halifax, Nova Scotia is pounds 2,100 return. But Icelandair (0171-388 5599) is promoting its new service to the Canadian gateway with a pounds 799 fare until 2 September. You have to stay overnight in Reykjavik on the way out, but the airline throws in a free stay at a hotel in the Icelandic capital.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 200,000 back our campaign
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 24 days holiday, bonus, etc.: Ashdown Group: Print...
£20000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in London, Manches...
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer and Brand Manager required for ...
£25000 - £35000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Systems Administrator A...