The Things I've Seen: The Agglestone
Saturday 07 May 1994
I went by ferry to the Isle of Purbeck. The ferry boat was new and hauled itself along on giant chains which lay on the seabed. I came ashore and joined a smooth road heading south.
The Agglestone is a mile from the road. There is a problem with erosion: the land is being washed away. The paths and tracks are badly worn. Cycling is not allowed: I had to carry my bike most of the way. Perched on top of the sparse hill, the Agglestone looked out of place: it has resisted erosion, while the soft rock around it has gone. It casts a long and sinister shadow.
A man watched as I approached, carrying my bike. 'You're not supposed to ride bikes up here,' he said.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Sabrina Corgatelli: US hunting tourist posts picture of herself with dead giraffe after Cecil the lion outrage
- 2 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 3 A-level results 2015: UK exam board OCR admits it 'estimates' hundreds of pupils' grades after papers 'go missing'
- 4 Giant Minion terrorises drivers in Ireland as 40ft inflatable blocks busy Dublin road
- 5 'Cool kids' can go on to become losers in later life, study finds
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor
Landlords renting properties to illegal immigrants to face up to five years in prison
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Calais crisis: The seven claims made about the migrants - and the reality
Circa £26,500 DOE: Guru Careers: An International Project Coordinator / Accoun...
£25k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Plumber / Mainten...
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing travel comp...
£19000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you looking for an exciting...