The Things I've Seen: The Agglestone
Saturday 07 May 1994
I went by ferry to the Isle of Purbeck. The ferry boat was new and hauled itself along on giant chains which lay on the seabed. I came ashore and joined a smooth road heading south.
The Agglestone is a mile from the road. There is a problem with erosion: the land is being washed away. The paths and tracks are badly worn. Cycling is not allowed: I had to carry my bike most of the way. Perched on top of the sparse hill, the Agglestone looked out of place: it has resisted erosion, while the soft rock around it has gone. It casts a long and sinister shadow.
A man watched as I approached, carrying my bike. 'You're not supposed to ride bikes up here,' he said.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...
£22300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum group is looking for a Payro...