Travel: Brochures of the week
Sunday 25 January 1998
Among the upcoming holidays are Walking in the Footsteps of a Shropshire Lad (2-5 April) for pounds 257 all inclusive, and Lincolnshire: the History of the RAF and Bomber Command (8-10 May) for pounds 198 all inclusive. A note at the back of the brochure claims that people of all ages go on these trips, but I imagine most teenagers would have to be dragged along begging for mercy.
Alternatively, if you fancy a break in the Isle of Wight, there's the Sailaway Holidays brochure from Red Funnel Ferries. The copywriting goes into meaningless overdrive in a bid to lure you to the South Coast. Apparently, "the island is a tranquil haven from a bustling outside world" but, alarmingly, to get there your ferry "weaves through an armada of yachts, cruise ships, tankers and pleasure craft" (will you ever make it?). Perhaps useful if you want to find a cheapish hotel.
Whistler Breaks, tel 01743 718964; Sailaway Holidays, tel 01703 333811.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Dentist who illegally killed Cecil the lion blames local guides for the scandal
- 2 Kate Winslet thanked 'particularly horrible' girl who bullied her at school after Titanic success
- 3 Norwich paedophile ring: Woman at centre of gang who made children 'sexual play things' guilty of 23 offences
- 4 Black and ethnic minority people twice as likely to be hit by Tory cuts than white people, report finds
- 5 Walter Palmer: American dentist revealed as the killer of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
Labour leadership: New poll shows party is now even 'less electable' than under Ed Miliband
Labour leadership contest: I would never quit the party, says Liz Kendall
£12500 - £24500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Drivers wanted for a family run...
£40000 - £45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A successful leisure company is seek...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: The positions above are available either part ...
£25K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Fitness Centre Supervisor / Duty Manager ...