Travel: information desk: Your questions answered by our panel of experts

Wanted: a bunk and some grits

I WOULD like some information about b&b accommodation in the USA, especially in California, Arizona and Mississippi. I would like to travel during July and August. Is there any way of pre-booking this type of accommodation before I go?

John G Randle


The Travel Editor replies: The b&b culture is taking off across the Atlantic. The South seems to have the highest density of bed and breakfasts; Mississippi alone has 130. Country inns (or b&bs) have also taken off in New England and Northern California and can be found in abundance in the Wine Country, Gold Coast, North Coast and the Monterey Peninsula. Prices vary greatly (a standard double for a night costs $50 to $250 plus - about pounds 30 to pounds 150), and b&bs are generally more expensive than motels. Country b&bs do a roaring trade with urbanites at weekends and over the summer (when you are planning to travel), so book in advance.

There is no central organisation in the UK which pre-books b&b accommodation in the US, but you should contact the individual tourist board of each state. For Arizona, call the tourist brochure line (tel: 01426 946334), or more specific information or bookings can be requested by writing to The Arizona Association of B&B Inns, PO Box 7186, Phoenix, AZ, 85011.

The California Tourist Information line (tel: 0171-405 4746) holds detailed information on all types of accommodation but unfortunately not b&bs. You could try calling the California Association of B&B Inns in the US (tel: 001 408 462 9191), which can pre-book accommodation for you.

The Mississippi State Tourist office (tel: 01462 440787) has a brochure listing b&bs in Mississippi with contacts but no price guidelines. (You are looking at a ball-park figure of $100 per double, per night.)

For information and listings of b&bs in the US, write to B&B Central Information at PO Box 38279, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA. Its website, at, is also an excellent source of information. It has complete listings of all b&bs in the US, divided into individual states, with descriptions and telephone numbers. Some of the b&bs listed also offer on-line reservation services.

The Annual Directory of American and Canadian B&Bs (Rutledge Hill Press, pounds 12) offers a very comprehensive list of North American b&b accommodation (some 6,200 b&bs in total), with descriptions and price guidelines.

Discover Berlin and beyond

THERE ARE many companies specialising in Spain, Italy and France, but Germany hardly seems to get a look-in. We would like to know of companies that specialise in the former East Germany, including Berlin, Dresden and Weimar, offering good cultural guides and hotels.

LF Robinson


The Travel Editor replies: The German tourist board (tel: 0171-317 0908) has a list of tour operators for Germany. DER Tours (tel: 0171-408 0111) offers tailor-made packages to former East Germany and features Berlin, Dresden and Weimar in its programme.

In May, DER is offering a cultural tour to Dresden, Leipzig and Weimar to coincide with the 250th anniversary of Goethe's birth. This four-night tour takes in the writer's former residences, and museums, and costs pounds 599 per person, including return flights, transfers, guided tours and half-board hotel accommodation, based on two sharing.

A three-night break in Berlin costs from pounds 328 per person, including return flights, b&b accommodation in a hotel, transfers and a "Berlin Card" which gives you access to free public transport and reductions on entrance fees.

Say 'no cheese please'

I HAVE recently been diagnosed as lactose-intolerant, which places severe restrictions on eating out and involves studying the ingredients lists on all the food I buy. Consequently, the thought of eating out abroad is fairly horrific and I wonder if you know any tour operators that can accommodate special diets? We like to take two holidays a year, one in the Alps, one in the Mediterranean.

Mrs C Arnold


The Travel Editor replies: As far as I know, there is no tour operator that specifically caters for people with food allergies. This does not mean that you are without hope, however. If you are sufficiently well informed about what you can and cannot eat (and in the right language!), there is no reason why you cannot have a perfectly enjoyable holiday abroad.

An organisation known as the British Allergy Foundation (tel: 0181-303 8525) can provide you with lists of relevant sentences and questions (for example: "I can't eat anything which contains cheese") translated into the language of your choice, so that you can convey your exact requirements in restaurants.

To obtain the translations relevant to your particular condition, write to: The British Allergy Foundation, Deepdene House, 30 Bellegrove Road, Welling, Kent DA16 3PY. You should state the proposed date of travel and the language you need. The service costs pounds 15.

There is also a magazine called The Inside Story to which you can subscribe for an annual fee. Subscribers receive special diet recipes and details of self-help and support groups; multilingual ingredient guides are also available. Write to: The Inside Story, Berrydale House, 5 Lawn Road, London NW3 2XS (tel: 0171-722 2866).

Another useful contact is the American Food Allergy Network (FAN), which provides guides and books of tips and information for travellers who have got food allergies. Write to: FAN, 10400 Eaton Place, Suite 107, Fairfax, VA 22030-2208, USA (tel: 001 703 691 3179). Or visit its website at:

Have you got a question or problem? Whether you want to know the best place to go for a holiday or have a legal or medical concern, our panel of travel experts will be able to help.

Write to: the Travel Editor, Independent on Sunday, 1 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5DL.

Fax: 0171-293 2043. E-mail: sundaytravel@

Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
ebookHow to enjoy the perfect short break in 20 great cities
Independent Travel Videos
Independent Travel Videos
Simon Calder in Amsterdam
Independent Travel Videos
Simon Calder in Giverny
Independent Travel Videos
Simon Calder in St John's
Independent Travel Videos
  • Get to the point
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

ES Rentals

    iJobs Job Widget
    iJobs Travel

    Guru Careers: Dining Room Head Chef

    £32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...

    Guru Careers: Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Chef

    £27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...

    Ashdown Group: Technical IT Manager - North London - Growing business

    £40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...

    Recruitment Genius: Technical Supervisor

    £24800 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As one of London's leading Muse...

    Day In a Page

    General Election 2015: Ed Miliband's unlikely journey from hapless geek to heart-throb

    Miliband's unlikely journey from hapless geek to heart-throb

    He was meant to be Labour's biggest handicap - but has become almost an asset
    General Election 2015: A guide to the smaller parties, from the the National Health Action Party to the Church of the Militant Elvis Party

    On the margins

    From Militant Elvis to Women's Equality: a guide to the underdogs standing in the election
    Amr Darrag: Ex-Muslim Brotherhood minister in exile still believes Egypt's military regime can be replaced with 'moderate' Islamic rule

    'This is the battle of young Egypt for the future of our country'

    Ex-Muslim Brotherhood minister Amr Darrag still believes the opposition can rid Egypt of its military regime and replace it with 'moderate' Islamic rule, he tells Robert Fisk
    Why patients must rely less on doctors: Improving our own health is the 'blockbuster drug of the century'

    Why patients must rely less on doctors

    Improving our own health is the 'blockbuster drug of the century'
    Sarah Lucas is the perfect artist to represent Britain at the Venice Biennale

    Flesh in Venice

    Sarah Lucas has filled the British pavilion at the Venice Biennale with slinky cats and casts of her female friends' private parts. It makes you proud to be a woman, says Karen Wright
    11 best anti-ageing day creams

    11 best anti-ageing day creams

    Slow down the ageing process with one of these high-performance, hardworking anti-agers
    Juventus 2 Real Madrid 1: Five things we learnt, including Iker Casillas is past it and Carlos Tevez remains effective

    Juventus vs Real Madrid

    Five things we learnt from the Italian's Champions League first leg win over the Spanish giants
    Ashes 2015: Test series looks a lost cause for England... whoever takes over as ECB director of cricket

    Ashes series looks a lost cause for England...

    Whoever takes over as ECB director of cricket, says Stephen Brenkley
    Fishing for votes with Nigel Farage: The Ukip leader shows how he can work an audience as he casts his line to the disaffected of Grimsby

    Fishing is on Nigel Farage's mind

    Ukip leader casts a line to the disaffected
    Who is bombing whom in the Middle East? It's amazing they don't all hit each other

    Who is bombing whom in the Middle East?

    Robert Fisk untangles the countries and factions
    China's influence on fashion: At the top of the game both creatively and commercially

    China's influence on fashion

    At the top of the game both creatively and commercially
    Lord O’Donnell: Former cabinet secretary on the election and life away from the levers of power

    The man known as GOD has a reputation for getting the job done

    Lord O'Donnell's three principles of rule
    Rainbow shades: It's all bright on the night

    Rainbow shades

    It's all bright on the night
    'It was first time I had ever tasted chocolate. I kept a piece, and when Amsterdam was liberated, I gave it to the first Allied soldier I saw'

    Bread from heaven

    Dutch survivors thank RAF for World War II drop that saved millions
    Britain will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power - Labour

    How 'the Axe' helped Labour

    UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power