Around the UK
Sunday 07 October 2007
1. As part of World Space Week children can handle moon samples, hunt for a meteorite or help to build a comet. Until Wednesday, 10am-5pm, at Explore-at-Bristol (at-bristol.co.uk).
2. Download a self-guided Red Squirrel Walk and head to Mount Stewart in Northern Ireland, one of the top five places in the UK to spot this rare species this autumn (nationaltrust.org.uk).
3. On Wednesday, ride the Ravenglass and Eskdale, the longest and most spectacular steam railway in the Lake District, up to isolated Hardknott Fort, a dramatic Roman site normally inaccessible by road (ravenglass-railway.co.uk).
4. Head to the Steam Models Extravaganza at the Kew Bridge Steam Museum in Middlesex today, where there will be a variety of steam models on show, plus some to make and buy and children's competitions (kbsm.org).
5. Try your hand at the art of the smithy at a forthcoming Blacksmithing Experience Day, taking place from this Saturday at Blists Hill Victorian Town, Shropshire. Minimum age 16, booking is necessary (ironbridge.org.uk).
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 4 Hip hop is both racial and political, and for Iggy Azalea to suggest otherwise is insulting
- 5 Man hospitalised with pneumonia after downing eggnog at office Christmas party
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Alex Salmond has 'broken his word to the Scottish people' says Scottish Lib Dem leader
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...