Around the UK
Sunday 07 October 2007
1. As part of World Space Week children can handle moon samples, hunt for a meteorite or help to build a comet. Until Wednesday, 10am-5pm, at Explore-at-Bristol (at-bristol.co.uk).
2. Download a self-guided Red Squirrel Walk and head to Mount Stewart in Northern Ireland, one of the top five places in the UK to spot this rare species this autumn (nationaltrust.org.uk).
3. On Wednesday, ride the Ravenglass and Eskdale, the longest and most spectacular steam railway in the Lake District, up to isolated Hardknott Fort, a dramatic Roman site normally inaccessible by road (ravenglass-railway.co.uk).
4. Head to the Steam Models Extravaganza at the Kew Bridge Steam Museum in Middlesex today, where there will be a variety of steam models on show, plus some to make and buy and children's competitions (kbsm.org).
5. Try your hand at the art of the smithy at a forthcoming Blacksmithing Experience Day, taking place from this Saturday at Blists Hill Victorian Town, Shropshire. Minimum age 16, booking is necessary (ironbridge.org.uk).
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
£40000 - £60000 per annum + £100,000 OTE: h2 Recruit Ltd: Birmingham, Derby, L...
£55000 - £65000 per annum: Investigo: My client, a global leader in their fiel...
£45000 - £52000 per annum + bonus+bens : Investigo: My client, a global leader...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits : Investigo: One of the fastest growing g...