1. As part of World Space Week children can handle moon samples, hunt for a meteorite or help to build a comet. Until Wednesday, 10am-5pm, at Explore-at-Bristol (at-bristol.co.uk).
2. Download a self-guided Red Squirrel Walk and head to Mount Stewart in Northern Ireland, one of the top five places in the UK to spot this rare species this autumn (nationaltrust.org.uk).
3. On Wednesday, ride the Ravenglass and Eskdale, the longest and most spectacular steam railway in the Lake District, up to isolated Hardknott Fort, a dramatic Roman site normally inaccessible by road (ravenglass-railway.co.uk).
4. Head to the Steam Models Extravaganza at the Kew Bridge Steam Museum in Middlesex today, where there will be a variety of steam models on show, plus some to make and buy and children's competitions (kbsm.org).
5. Try your hand at the art of the smithy at a forthcoming Blacksmithing Experience Day, taking place from this Saturday at Blists Hill Victorian Town, Shropshire. Minimum age 16, booking is necessary (ironbridge.org.uk).Reuse content