Around the UK
1. Until 6 January, join the fun at the Christmas Family Festival in the grounds of the Sandringham estate in Norfolk (norfolkchristmasfestival. co.uk). Ice skating, a twice-daily pantomime, husky dog sleigh rides, circus workshops and a fun fair promise to keep the family amused.
2. Festive Fright Fest is a seasonal twist on the City of the Dead guided ghost tours of Edinburgh, taking in Greyfriars Graveyard, where Dickens was inspired to create Ebenezer Scrooge (blackhart.uk.com). Suitable for children accompanied by an adult, meet at 7.30pm or 8.30pm nightly at the City of the Dead sign, St Giles' Cathedral on the Royal Mile or book in advance (0131-225 9044).
3. For a different take on New Year celebrations, head for the annualAllendale Tar Baal Fire in Northumberland tomorrow (go-britain.com/html/allendale). Guisers (tar barrel men) in pagan costume parade through the town with lit tar barrels which they throw on a pyre to say goodbye to the old year. Then the streets come alive with music and dancing.
4. Experience public transport from yesteryear on King Alfred Buses Running Day, left, which takes place in Winchester on New Year's Day (fokab.org. uk). Enjoy a free ride on one of the restored heritage buses and coaches and take a look at the collection of transport memorabilia.
5. The Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich will be paying tribute to Admiral Lord Nelson, left, with Nelson's Navy, a free family event on Saturday and Sunday (oldroyalnavalcollege.org). Kids can learn what life was like aboard one of Nelson's ships. They can even enlist and get a certificate to prove it.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
- 2 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 3 People who sleep more than eight hours are more likely to have a stroke, research shows
- 5 New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Oscars 2015: Birdman beats Boyhood as Eddie Redmayne and Patricia Arquette win big - as it happened
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...
£15000 - £19200 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Processing Partner is require...
£34000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This specialist travel agent ba...