Around the UK
Sunday 13 January 2008
1. Get along to the family concerts at the CBSO Centre in Birmingham (cbso.co.uk) today at 2pm and 4.30pm. The Birmingham Contemporary Music Group and digital media company Braunarts will combine sound and images to engage young people with the world of contemporary classical music. Call 0121-767 4050 for tickets.
2. The spectacular show 'Afrika! Afrika!' opens on Thursday at the Tented Palaces on the O2 site in Greenwich, London (afrika-afrika.com). Music, dance and circus performances by artists from 17 nations will combine in a celebration of the continent.
3. At weekends and during holidays until 30 March, families can join Stella the Space Robot on her journey through the solar system in the Meet the Planets show at the Planetarium at Techniquest, Cardiff (techniquest.org). Take a close look at each planet and help Stella to find somewhere to live.
4. As part of the annual Celtic Connections music festival, Big Groove will be leading three percussion workshops aimed at different age groups on Saturday at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall (celtic connections.com). Children aged from four years old will be able to explore their natural sense of rhythm while older ones can have a go at the samba.
5. Some of the best representations of our natural environment will be on show at the Blue Planet Aquarium in Cheshire (blue planetaquarium. com) from Saturday. That's when the Shell Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition will open to the public (nhm.ac.uk/wildphoto).
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
Human faces unique 'because we don't recognise each other by smell'
Man's attempt to avoid being impounded heavily criticised
Newcastle winger is in Argentina having chemotherapy
Actors star in Woody Allen's 'Magic in the Moonlight'
Returning to the stage after 20 years makes actress feel 'nauseous'
- 1 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Why I haven't washed my hair in three years: It isn't greasy, it doesn't smell
- 4 Grandmas keep accidentally tagging themselves as Grandmaster Flash on Facebook
- 5 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...