Around the UK
Sunday 13 January 2008
1. Get along to the family concerts at the CBSO Centre in Birmingham (cbso.co.uk) today at 2pm and 4.30pm. The Birmingham Contemporary Music Group and digital media company Braunarts will combine sound and images to engage young people with the world of contemporary classical music. Call 0121-767 4050 for tickets.
2. The spectacular show 'Afrika! Afrika!' opens on Thursday at the Tented Palaces on the O2 site in Greenwich, London (afrika-afrika.com). Music, dance and circus performances by artists from 17 nations will combine in a celebration of the continent.
3. At weekends and during holidays until 30 March, families can join Stella the Space Robot on her journey through the solar system in the Meet the Planets show at the Planetarium at Techniquest, Cardiff (techniquest.org). Take a close look at each planet and help Stella to find somewhere to live.
4. As part of the annual Celtic Connections music festival, Big Groove will be leading three percussion workshops aimed at different age groups on Saturday at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall (celtic connections.com). Children aged from four years old will be able to explore their natural sense of rhythm while older ones can have a go at the samba.
5. Some of the best representations of our natural environment will be on show at the Blue Planet Aquarium in Cheshire (blue planetaquarium. com) from Saturday. That's when the Shell Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition will open to the public (nhm.ac.uk/wildphoto).
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
- 2 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 3 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
- 4 Photo of wedding guest proposing to girlfriend in front of bride and groom goes viral
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: it's just gravity — not a Mexican demon being summoned
Air France flight almost crashed into active volcano in Africa while trying to avoid storms
Inside Travel: Greece 2015 Q&A - should we cancel our Greek holiday? Are our flights safe? And what will we be spending there?
The most powerful passports in the world
The 10 Best lightweight luggage
The 10 Best hiking boots
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...