Around the UK
Sunday 13 January 2008
1. Get along to the family concerts at the CBSO Centre in Birmingham (cbso.co.uk) today at 2pm and 4.30pm. The Birmingham Contemporary Music Group and digital media company Braunarts will combine sound and images to engage young people with the world of contemporary classical music. Call 0121-767 4050 for tickets.
2. The spectacular show 'Afrika! Afrika!' opens on Thursday at the Tented Palaces on the O2 site in Greenwich, London (afrika-afrika.com). Music, dance and circus performances by artists from 17 nations will combine in a celebration of the continent.
3. At weekends and during holidays until 30 March, families can join Stella the Space Robot on her journey through the solar system in the Meet the Planets show at the Planetarium at Techniquest, Cardiff (techniquest.org). Take a close look at each planet and help Stella to find somewhere to live.
4. As part of the annual Celtic Connections music festival, Big Groove will be leading three percussion workshops aimed at different age groups on Saturday at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall (celtic connections.com). Children aged from four years old will be able to explore their natural sense of rhythm while older ones can have a go at the samba.
5. Some of the best representations of our natural environment will be on show at the Blue Planet Aquarium in Cheshire (blue planetaquarium. com) from Saturday. That's when the Shell Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition will open to the public (nhm.ac.uk/wildphoto).
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
It's Italian, but it's definitely not Italy: Stephen Wood visits Lampedusa, an island beyond the map's edge, where North Africa meets Rome and even the sharks are poets
Cycling in America: A revolution on two wheels
Astypalea, Greece: An isolated spot a world away from Athens
Inside Travel: Greece 2015 Q&A - should we cancel our Greek holiday? Are our flights safe? And what will we be spending there?
The 10 Best lightweight luggage
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...