Around the UK
Sunday 13 January 2008
1. Get along to the family concerts at the CBSO Centre in Birmingham (cbso.co.uk) today at 2pm and 4.30pm. The Birmingham Contemporary Music Group and digital media company Braunarts will combine sound and images to engage young people with the world of contemporary classical music. Call 0121-767 4050 for tickets.
2. The spectacular show 'Afrika! Afrika!' opens on Thursday at the Tented Palaces on the O2 site in Greenwich, London (afrika-afrika.com). Music, dance and circus performances by artists from 17 nations will combine in a celebration of the continent.
3. At weekends and during holidays until 30 March, families can join Stella the Space Robot on her journey through the solar system in the Meet the Planets show at the Planetarium at Techniquest, Cardiff (techniquest.org). Take a close look at each planet and help Stella to find somewhere to live.
4. As part of the annual Celtic Connections music festival, Big Groove will be leading three percussion workshops aimed at different age groups on Saturday at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall (celtic connections.com). Children aged from four years old will be able to explore their natural sense of rhythm while older ones can have a go at the samba.
5. Some of the best representations of our natural environment will be on show at the Blue Planet Aquarium in Cheshire (blue planetaquarium. com) from Saturday. That's when the Shell Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition will open to the public (nhm.ac.uk/wildphoto).
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
The Microsoft mogul told fans a few home truths during his Reddit AMA
- 1 Woman falls to her death as she celebrates marriage proposal at the edge of Ibiza cliff
- 3 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 4 Baldness could soon be treated using stem cells, scientists hope
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity for...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...