Around The UK
Sunday 18 May 2008
1. Visitors to Haworth in Yorkshire will be taken back in time today as part of a 1940s weekend. Evacuees will arrive in vintage vehicles and families can join jive-dancing and other 1940s-style festivities (visitbrontecountry.com).
2. Step into a customs officer's shoes at a new gallery in Liverpool's Merseyside Maritime Museum. From this weekend, SEIZED! Revenue & Customs Uncovered reveals some strange smuggling receptacles and allows you to track professional smugglers (liverpoolmuseums.org.uk).
3. Pram pushers and wheelchair users can explore the National Forest, in the Midlands, during the first Footsteps in the Forest walking festival for people of all ages and abilities, which runs until 26 May (thenationalforestwalkingfestival.org.uk).
4. Arty antics are going down at the Macduff Marine Aquarium in Banffshire from Friday. Coast Festival of the Visual Arts offers the chance to contribute to a large indoor mural (coastfestival.org.uk).
5. One for the grown-ups: Bond Bound – Ian Fleming & the Art of Cover Design is at The Fleming Collection, London, until 28 June (020-7409 5730). The exhibition marks the centenary of the author's birth.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 3 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 4 Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
- 5 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
£24,000 pa, plus benefits: SFL Group: Looking for a hard-working and self-moti...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding travel c...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you have a strong record of ...
£24000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will have demonstrable unde...