Around the UK
Sunday 08 June 2008
1. Dover Castle in Kent will echo to the sounds of the melodeon and bagpipes today for its Victoriana Music Day until 4pm (
2. A new exhibition at London's Kensington Palace from Wednesday will mark the 50th anniversary of the last debutantes ( www.hrp.org.uk).
3. Catch the Northern Rock Cyclone cycling festival in and around Newcastle next weekend ( www.northernrockcyclone.co.uk).
4. Keep the family on its feet as the Herefordshire Walking Festival sets off on Saturday ( www.walkingfestival.com).
5. Transe Express puts on a free show of pyrotechnics at Lake Windermere, Cumbria, on Saturday evening ( www.lakesalive.com).
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 School playground evacuated over 'unusually aggressive' grey squirrel
- 2 Hollywood actor Mickey Rourke beats opponent 33 years his junior in exhibition boxing match
- 3 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 4 Today was a bad day for renters, landlords, and democracy
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
£31000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: In the UK, the major project fo...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + benefits: h2 Recruit Ltd: Are you a high achieving...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + benefits: h2 Recruit Ltd: A rapidly growing Hotel ...
£15000 - £16800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Tyre Technician / Mechanic is...