Around The UK
Sunday 24 August 2008
1. Eyes to the skies over Strathaven Park, Scotland, today for the last launch of the Balloon Festival (pictured below). Enjoy sheepdog trials with ducks, a classic vehicle display and the world's largest hot air balloon, Piper, taking flight from 6pm (
2. Audley End House and Gardens in Essex is putting on a variety of Victorian events this week. Today and tomorrow children can enjoy traditional games and races, music, dancing and flower fairy hunts. From Wednesday they can dress up and find out if they've got what it takes to live below stairs ( english-heritage.org.uk).
3. Forget the new Batman film: kids can get outdoors and learn how to be bat detectives on the Crom Estate in Co Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. Book your places on the batty walk, which takes place from 8.30pm on Thursday, to get in the know about these nocturnal creatures ( nationaltrust.org.uk).
4. Feel the force as the first ever More Bus Bournemouth Air Festival takes to the skies. The free aerial action is from Thursday, where you can catch the Eurofighter Typhoon and the Red Arrows ( bournemouthair.co.uk).
5. The pretty Cumbrian village of Kendal will be hosting the Mintfest International Street Arts Festival from Friday to Sunday, featuring 200 of the world's top performers, including a spectacular display from Dutch troupe Tuig ( mintfest.org).
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 2 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 3 Dakota Johnson's 'It's only Isis' Saturday Night Live sketch sparks controversy
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
The 50 Best spas
Thailand tourism video Love En Route criticised for featuring Instagram stalker
The Atlas of Beauty: Photographer travels around the world to capture cultural diversity through stunning portraits of women
Chief executive of Malaysia Airlines: The toughest job in travel?
The 10 Best lightweight luggage
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how Corporation is funded
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Qualified Lifeguards are required to join a fa...
£19000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Based in South Kensington, this prestigi...
£40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A reputable organisation within the leisure i...
£25000 - £33000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Partner is required to ...