Around The UK
Sunday 24 August 2008
1. Eyes to the skies over Strathaven Park, Scotland, today for the last launch of the Balloon Festival (pictured below). Enjoy sheepdog trials with ducks, a classic vehicle display and the world's largest hot air balloon, Piper, taking flight from 6pm (
2. Audley End House and Gardens in Essex is putting on a variety of Victorian events this week. Today and tomorrow children can enjoy traditional games and races, music, dancing and flower fairy hunts. From Wednesday they can dress up and find out if they've got what it takes to live below stairs ( english-heritage.org.uk).
3. Forget the new Batman film: kids can get outdoors and learn how to be bat detectives on the Crom Estate in Co Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. Book your places on the batty walk, which takes place from 8.30pm on Thursday, to get in the know about these nocturnal creatures ( nationaltrust.org.uk).
4. Feel the force as the first ever More Bus Bournemouth Air Festival takes to the skies. The free aerial action is from Thursday, where you can catch the Eurofighter Typhoon and the Red Arrows ( bournemouthair.co.uk).
5. The pretty Cumbrian village of Kendal will be hosting the Mintfest International Street Arts Festival from Friday to Sunday, featuring 200 of the world's top performers, including a spectacular display from Dutch troupe Tuig ( mintfest.org).
The 50 Best spas
Shropshire: Not just local shops for local people ...
Simon Calder: Until this disaster South Korea's ferry safety record fared well compared to its Asian neighbours
The 10 Best hiking boots
Where to go on holiday 2014: These are the top 10 destinations that everyone will be talking about this summer
- 1 Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 2 Naked yoga: the bare truth - it's already big in the US, and has now landed here
- 3 Man on a leash in Farringdon, London: Mystery of 'walkies' solved
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Drugs giant GlaxoSmithKline bribed doctors to boost sales, says whistleblower
David Cameron: 'Jesus invented the Big Society – I'm just continuing God's work'
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...