Around The UK
Sunday 31 August 2008
1. Kite-flyers from around the world will be gathering for the final day of the Bristol International Festival of Kites and Air Creations today. Head to Ashton Court for a free day of flying fun, where highlights include 'Blue Peter' presenters competing in Japanese kite-fighting battles (
2. Plans rained off? Head indoors to the National Museum of Scotland in the heart of Edinburgh's old town today, where you can join in with an afternoon of traditional games, courtesy of Big Top Glasgow, from 12.45pm ( nms.ac.uk).
3. If you're hankering to know the history of hops, then from tomorrow to Friday the Hop Farm Family Park in Kent is holding its annual Hop Festival. An interactive museum tells the story of hop-farming, but there'll also be traditional entertainment ( thehopfarm.co.uk).
4. Get the family fit on foot by taking one of the 22 routes organised as part of the North Oxfordshire Walking Festival, which takes place from Friday to Sunday. Themed events include poetry walks and Roman rambles ( visitnorthoxfordshire.com).
5. It's all hands on deck at the Merseyside Maritime Museum, Liverpool, on Saturday for a free Maritime Skills session ( liverpoolmuseums.org.uk).
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
New era of cheap oil 'will destroy green revolution'
Ukip founder Alan Sked and Nigel Farage 'begged Enoch Powell to stand as a candidate'
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...
£23000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This successful group of compan...
£29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A HGV Class 2 Lorry Driver is required t...