1. Alresford in Hampshire hosts its annual Watercress Festival today, kicking off a week of bicentenary celebrations of the plant industry (watercress.co.uk). Antony Worrall Thompson demonstrates new dishes and steam train rides will take place on the Watercress Line.
2. There's a double dose of family fun to be had today at Chatsworth House in the Peak District. The 10th Chatsworth Horse Trials include a fire-jumping ponies event, while the Water Spectacular will see the Emperor Fountain reach twice its normal height to 200ft ( www.chatsworth.org).
3. Discover the link between today's garden birds and prehistoric species at the Dinosaurs in your Garden exhibition at Bodelwyddan Castle, Wales, which runs until 28 May ( www.bodelwyddan-castle.co.uk).
4. Keep kids occupied with a visit to Saturday's Family Day at the Design Museum, London, where they can take part in workshops and create a big balloon installation ( www.designmuseum.org).
5. One for grown-ups: as part of national Museums at Night Weekend, the Late Shows in Newcastle-Gateshead offer a free nocturnal culture crawl of some of the city's top venues, including the Baltic ( www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/whatson).