This is Durham: Where to stay
Friday 08 March 2013
Durham has a host of accommodation options which provide facilities for cyclists and walkers. Here are a few highlights.
Excellent quality en suite accommodation and scrumptious meals. Many local walks and cycle routes on the doorstep. Stay three nights, get fourth night free.
4-star guest house, Visit England silver award, Visit England breakfast award, Visit England walkers welcome, Visit England cyclists welcome.
Double/twin en suite room - £80 per room per night, breakfast included.
- 55 Market Place, Middleton-in-Teesdale, County Durham DL12 0QH
- 01833 640 393
Rose and Crown Hotel
A charming 18 Century coaching inn located in the picturesque village of Romaldkirk. Individually designed bedrooms, cosy bar with open fireplace and surrounded by beautiful countryside.
Double/twin en suite room - from £150 per room per night, breakfast included
Headlam Hall Hotel and Spa
Superb 17 Century mansion with beautiful walled gardens, award-winning restaurant, spa and golf course. Located in a quiet corner of the Durham Dales, offering rural peace and seclusion.
Double/twin en suite room - from £125 per room per night, breakfast included.
- Headlam, Near Gainford, County Durham, DL2 3HA
- 01325 730 238
Mellwaters Barn Cottages
Luxurious and exceptionally spacious self-catering accommodation in beautiful Teesdale. Ideally situated for visiting Beamish Museum, Durham Cathedral and The Bowes Museum. Local activities include walking, cycling, golfing and fishing.
4-star self catering, Visit England Gold Award.
From £295 per week, depending on size of cottage.
- East Mellwaters Farm, Stainmore Road, Bowes, County Durham
- 01833 628181
For more information, contact Durham’s official Visitor Contact Centre
- Call 03000 26 26 26
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text ‘Visit’ and your enquiry to 80011
- Skype ThisisDurham
Calls – cost of a local call, calls from mobiles will vary.
Texts – standard network charges apply.
Monday to Saturday 9.30am – 5.30pm
Sunday and Bank Holidays 11am-4pm
To discover more of Durham’s great outdoors, visit thisisdurham.com/outdoors
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...
£22300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum group is looking for a Payro...