what's the best way to...
Wednesday 08 May 1996
Head for Murmansk in northern Russia, which is 200 miles inside the Arctic Circle.
According to the Explorer's Guide to Russia (Canongate Press, pounds 12.99), at Murmansk, you will also encounter the most northerly botanic garden, sanatorium and tram depot.
Take a wheelchair walk in Kent?
Pick up the leaflet describing the recreation route along the Deal and Walmer, or call Kent's Access Officer on 01622 696168 to ask for a copy. It describes the three-mile trail along the coast from Sandown Castle via Deal Castle to Walmer Castle.
Ride from Bristol to London and back for pounds 7.45?
Become a student, or over 60, and travel with Bakers Dolphin (01934 616000).
If you cannot qualify for these, then the 240-mile round trip costs pounds 8.75 with this company or National Express (0990 808080).
Get away from it all with Penny Junor?
Watch the first Travel Show of the summer on BBC 2 tomorrow evening.
Find out whose Widlest Dreams have come true?
Discover the winners of the Independent/Heineken Export Wildest Dreams pounds 25,000 travel bursary in the travel pages of the Independent on Saturday.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 3 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 4 Cannabis can cause man boobs, US surgeon claims
- 5 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Data Management & ...