Heads up: Top comment and controversy
Boy survives bite from most deadly snake
27 September 2012 03:03 PM
Move over Spiderman, an Australian teenager yesterday survived a bite from the deadliest snake in the world. One drop of venom from the inland taipan is strong enough to kill 100 adult men, but the boy, who was bitten on his left-hand, is alive and well, Sky News reports.
"The 17-year-old walked into hospital in the small town of Kurri Kurri...according to reports, his friend was carrying a plastic tub containing the snake responsible". After identifying the snake as an inland taipan, toxicologists gave the youth nti-venom, saving his life before the neurotoxic poison caused gradual paralysis.
Detectives are investigating how he came into contact with the reptile - as the snake may not be wild but an illegally-kept pet.