Man dies after bug-eating contest


Click to follow
The Independent Online

A 32 year-old man crunched dozens of cockroaches and worms as part of a bug-eating contest, then collapsed and died minutes later, CNN reports.

The "Midnight Madness" competition was held at Ben Seigel reptiles - and a python was offered as a reward to the winner.

Buzzfeed reports that the man, Edward Archbold, consumed 100 millipedes, 30 cockroaches and 30 worms.

Archbold then left the store, before vomiting and calling 911. He was taken to hospital and pronounced dead.

A legal representative of Ben Seigel reptiles said: "The consumption of insects is widely accepted throughout the world, and the insects presented as part of the contest were taken from an inventory of insects that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles".