Letter: Licensed to soothe

Click to follow
Sir: John Morley asks (letter, 17 November) whether BR pays the Performing Right Society for use of background music at British Rail stations. The answer is yes. Under copyright law, any public performance of copyright music - whether it be in a pub, a shop or indeed on a station concourse - requires a PRS licence.

Although Mr Morley may find the use of background music distressing, he can be assured that its use is licensed and that PRS continues to work on behalf of composers and music publishers to ensure that music is given its due.

Yours sincerely,


Performing Right Society

London, W1