Kevin Spacey releases ‘creepy’ video as Frank Underwood sparking widespread bewilderment

The actor urged fans to 'wait for the evidence' as he was charged with sexual assault

Jacob Stolworthy
Tuesday 25 December 2018 09:33
comments
Kevin Spacey releases video on Christmas Eve as Frank Underwood to confront sexual misconduct allegations

Many stars have responded in confusion after Kevin Spacey released a bizarre video commenting on the sexual misconduct allegations made against him in character as House of Cards’s Frank Underwood.

The actor released the video – titled “Let me Be Frank – on his Twitter account at the same time as it was revealed he has been charged for the alleged assault of an 18-year-old male in July 2016. He will be arraigned in Boston, Massachusetts on 7 January.

In the video, Spacey urged fans to “wait for the evidence” in character as Underwood, the character he played for five seasons until he was fired from the show after being accused of inappropriate sexual advances by actor Anthony Rapp. Last year, Spacey said he did not remember the encounter but apologised for any “inappropriate drunken behaviour”.

“Oh sure, they may have tried to separate us, but what we have is too strong, it’s too powerful and after all, we shared everything, you and I,” he stated in the video. “ I told you my deepest, darkest secrets. I showed you exactly what people are capable of. I shocked you with my honesty, but mostly I challenged you and made you think. And you trusted me even though you knew you shouldn’t. So we’re not done, no matter what anyone says. And besides, I know what you want – you want me back.”

Spacey’s video set social media alight, with some stars – including Alyssa Milano and American political commentator Jon Favreau – expressing their confusion over its release.

 

Spacey's character was killed off in the Netflix drama ahead of its sixth and final season, which aired earlier this year. The streaming service is yet to comment on the clip.

In the video, he continues: "I can promise you this, if I didn’t pay the price for the things we both know I did do, I’m certainly not going to pay the price for the things I didn’t do."

The alleged victim is the son of former news anchor Heather Unruh, who first made the allegation during a press conference in November 2017, the Associated Press said. Ms Unruh said the actor bought her son “drink after drink” before allegedly putting his hands down the 18-year-old’s trousers and placing his hand on his genitals.

The video, posted to Spacey’s official Twitter account, was his first social media post since October last year when he became involved in accusations of sexual misconduct, as many figures in the media and entertainment industry faced such allegations. The claims formed part of the #MeToo movement, triggered in part by accusations of sexual assault against movie producer Harvey Weinstein, who has denied the accusations.

Support free-thinking journalism and attend Independent events

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments