1. Tsar Nicholas I of Russia's description of the failing Ottoman Empire – used of many countries since – was what?
2. Built in 1961, the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh was the first sports stadium in the world to feature what?
3. In the early 1970s Rod Stewart fronted which band?
4. The Robert Gordon University is in which UK city?
5. Which celebrated animated sitcom started life in the late 1980s as a series of shorts on The Tracey Ullman Show?
6. The route of the London 2012 marathon took runners through which historic market?
7. Which Radio 3 programme features theme music composed by its presenter?
8. In 1962, who became the first person to reach 10 Oscar nominations for acting (the first dating from 1935)?
9. The national unity government of 1806, comprising politicians from almost all groupings, was known as The Ministry of… what?
10. The Canal du Midi was built to connect what?
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies