Not even the opening of the 2012 Olympics could persuade many viewers to watch the BBC’s 3D broadcast
Not even the opening of the 2012 Olympics could persuade many viewers to watch the BBC’s 3D broadcast

Security experts reveal cyber attack threat to Olympics

'Credible attack' aimed at disrupting the lighting of the opening ceremony

James Vincent
Monday 08 July 2013 16:20

UK authorities have revealed that they were warned to expect a cyber-attack aiming at disrupting the Olympic’s opening ceremony last year.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4, head of Olympic cyber security Oliver Hoare said he was woken at 4.45 on the morning of the opening ceremony by a call from GCHQ.

“There was a suggestion that there was a credible attack on the electricity infrastructure supporting the Games,” said Hoare. "And the first reaction to that is, 'Goodness, you know, let's make a strong cup of coffee'."

Hoare went on to say that the security involved had tested “no less than five times” the possibility of a cyber-attack on the electricity infrastructure, but that the threat was still extremely worrying.

“The clock was absolutely ticking,” said Hoare. “I don’t want to go into too much detail about how we put those mitigations in place, but put it this way – we effectively switched to manual. Or had the facility to switch to manual. It's a very crude way of describing it, but effectively we had lots of technicians stationed at various points.”

The threat never materialised, though Hoare recalls speaking to a technician who attempted to reassure him by saying: "Good news. If the lights go down we can get them up and running regardless within 30 seconds."

Hoare was not so easily placated however, stating that “Thirty seconds at the opening ceremony with the lights going down would have been catastrophic in terms of reputational hit. So I watched the opening ceremony with a great deal of trepidation."

Oliver Hoare’s full story will be broadcast on a BBC Radio 4 program entitled Under Attack - The Threat From Cyberspace this evening at 8pm.

The news comes after Sir Iain Lobban, direct of GCHQ revealed earlier this month that the UK suffers around 70 “industrial scale” cyber-attacks each month.

The government also announced recently the creation of the Defence Cyber Protection Partnership (DCPP): an alliance between the Ministry of Defence and leading arms manufacturers and telecoms aimed at sharing intelligence and responding to national cyber threats.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Please enter a valid email
Please enter a valid email
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Must be at least 6 characters, include an upper and lower case character and a number
Please enter your first name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
Please enter your last name
Special characters aren’t allowed
Please enter a name between 1 and 40 characters
You must be over 18 years old to register
You must be over 18 years old to register
Opt-out-policy
You can opt-out at any time by signing in to your account to manage your preferences. Each email has a link to unsubscribe.

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged in