Apple's own iBooks e-book reading app and Pages word processing app are the most popular free and paid iPad apps in the US for 2010.
Apple's award for the iPad App of the Year goes to social media magazine Flipboard. Physics-based "eat-'em-up" game Osmos for iPad won Apple's award for the iPad App Game of the Year.
Unlike the top iPhone applications for the year (were the majority of top applications are games), iPad users are dedicating their time to apps across all categories.
In the paid applications category, PDF reading app the GoodReader for iPad is in second place, Apple's spreadsheet processing software Numbers is in third place, bird-tossing game Angry Birds HD is in fourth place and Apple's Keynote presentation creation software is in fifth place.
Music streaming and personal radio application Pandora Radio took out second place in the most popular free applications list for 2010, followed by TV and movie streaming app Netflix, Google's application suite for mobile devices Google Mobile App and card game Solitaire.
iPad App of the Year: Flipboard (free) - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flipboard/id358801284?mt=8
iPad App Game of the Year: Osmos for iPad ($4.99) - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/osmos-for-ipad/id379323382?mt=8
Most popular free iPad applications in the US for 2010:
- iBooks - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibooks/id364709193?mt=8
- Pandora Radio - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pandora-radio/id284035177?mt=8
- Netflix - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/netflix/id363590051?mt=8
- Google Mobile App - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-mobile-app/id284815942?mt=8
- Solitaire - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id359917414?mt=8
Most popular paid iPad applications in the US for 2010:
- Pages ($9.99) - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pages/id361309726?mt=8
- GoodReader for iPad ($2.99) - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodreader-for-ipad/id363448914?mt=8
- Numbers ($9.99) - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/numbers/id361304891?mt=8
- Angry Birds HD ($4.99) - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/angry-birds-hd/id364234221?mt=8
- Keynote ($9.99) - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/keynote/id361285480?mt=8
For the full list of 2010's most popular iPad Apps, including the most popular applications in each category in the App Store, head to the App section in iTunes and click on "Rewind 2010: iPad Apps."
iTunes Rewind 2010: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewFeature?id=408267572
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies