Resigning: The best ways to quit your job

The key thing is to assess your options, have a strategy, and don’t do anything rash

Matt Gingell@MattGingell1
Friday 19 May 2017 13:48
Before leaving a bad job, have a good exit strategy
Before leaving a bad job, have a good exit strategy

Many of you will at some point in your careers have a falling out with your employer. It may be that your boss picks on you, ignores you or makes things awkward for you.

You might be bullied or harassed by a manager. You could, for instance, be given unfair performance ratings, or be overlooked for promotion.

In such situations the trust often goes and you just want out.

But what steps should you be taking?

Raising a grievance

Depending on the circumstances, you could raise a complaint and try and resolve things that way.

You ought to check the company’s grievance procedure, which should set out the process that needs to be followed.

In some cases it may be appropriate to make an informal complaint before lodging a formal grievance.

Raising matters internally is important because your employer will usually have an obligation to investigate and respond. Also, if you later decide to pursue a claim against your employer, compensation could be reduced if you didn’t raise a grievance at the outset.

Reaching a deal

There may be an opportunity to have an off-the-record chat and thrash out a deal. Your employer might agree to pay you off on condition that you leave quietly and don’t bring any claims.

The parties would then normally enter into a settlement agreement.

It’s a requirement that you obtain legal advice before entering into such an agreement. This allows you to assess your options carefully, and obtain information. For example, you need to be aware that the first £30,000 of a termination payment can sometimes be paid tax-free.

References and restrictions

If you’re worried that your employer might give you a bad reference, one could be agreed and annexed to the settlement agreement. Your employer would then be obliged to provide that specific reference (known as an agreed reference) to prospective employers.

You may have a restriction in your employment contract preventing you from working for a competitor for a period of time when you leave. As part of the negotiation, this restriction could be waived.

Bringing a claim

If you feel that your employer has treated you badly, you could consider bringing a claim for constructive unfair dismissal.

To bring a claim, you must have resigned quickly because of a fundamental breach of contract by your employer. This could be a breach of trust, or another major breach.

Such claims are not easy to prove, so you would be wise to obtain legal advice before resigning. Advice should be taken at the earliest opportunity. You would normally need to have had at least two years’ service. You would also be required to follow the Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service’s (Acas) early conciliation process prior to lodging the claim. And any claim must be filed with the requisite fee at the employment tribunal within three months (less a day) from when the employment ends – and that’s subject to the rules for extending time for early conciliation. The maximum compensation award is the lower of 52 weeks’ pay or £80,541.

There may be other claims to consider too.

The key thing is to assess your options, have a strategy, and don’t do anything rash.

Matt Gingell is a specialist employment lawyer and legal commentator. He advises businesses and individuals on all employment law related issues. He also writes articles, HR guides, and employee guides.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments