Muslim acid attack victim abused online after she leaves hospital

Resham Khan says that a man called her a 'b**ch' after initially wishing her well 

Caroline Mortimer@cjmortimer
Friday 21 July 2017 22:56
Resham Khan suffered burns to her face and body
Resham Khan suffered burns to her face and body

An aspiring model who was left with horrific facial injuries after an acid attack has revealed that she by an internet troll after she failed to reply to his message while she was in hospital.

Resham Khan wrote in a blog post that a man had sent her a direct message on the social media site, Instagram, saying he hoped she would get well soon.

“Long story short, my lack of response or effort to make casual conversation led to him calling me a bitch and telling me to delete him (although I don't actually follow him)," the 21-year-old, said.

“So it might sound silly, but it really wound me up. Who says that just because a guy messages a woman it means she MUST reply, and if she doesn’t she is a rude, mean person that deserves to be called a bitch.

She added: “Don’t push your toys out the pram just because a woman isn’t entertaining the conversation. The reasons for her reply, or lack of, is not up for discussion.”

Ms Khan was attacked along with her cousin Jameel Muhktar, 37, as they waited at traffic lights in Beckton, East London on 21 June.

John Tomlin, 25, has been charged with GBH with intent and is due to appear at Snaresbrook Crown Court on 8 August.

Ms Kahn, who left hospital this week said she managed to go for a walk outside for the first time since her attack.

The student added that she had gone to a local shop with her father wearing sunglasses. She said she was proud that she “did it on her own terms”.

She added: “More than likely I’ll try again, maybe aiming to go out closer to rush hour the more my face begins the heal."

She now wants to ensure “no one ever goes through the living nightmare” and “unbearable pain” that she had suffered.

Her comments came as public concern over assaults with noxious substances has been mounting following a spate of attacks in London.

Last week a 16-year-old boy was charged over five linked acid attacks which took place in just 90 minutes on 14 July.

But despite suspects being identified in 60 per cent of cases, the vast majority never even reach court

Eighty per cent of the 455 acid attacks reported to the Metropolitan police in 2016 failed to make legal proceedings, according to the newspaper, which cited figures released through Freedom of Information requests.

Home Secretary Amber Rudd has hinted at plans to introduce life sentences for people who attack their victims with acid.