Student 'frozen with fear during Jack Tweed rape'

By Wesley Johnson,Joe Sinclair
Sunday 23 October 2011 02:00
Jack Tweed denies two counts of rape
Jack Tweed denies two counts of rape

A 20-year-old student today described how her body went in to "complete lockdown" when she was allegedly raped by the widower of reality TV star Jade Goody and his friend.

The shy young woman was "frozen with fear" as she was attacked by Jack Tweed and his friend Anthony Davis, who had been pestering her for a threesome, Snaresbrook Crown Court in east London heard.

Tweed, a 22-year-old club promoter, and Davis, 26, both deny raping the victim at Tweed's east London home in the early hours of September 4 last year.

The victim, who was just 19 at the time, said she was "horrified" when Davis joined Tweed on the bed and they both raped her together.

Giving evidence from behind a screen, the young woman said she had never been so scared in her life and was in "complete lockdown".

Asked by prosecutor Linda Strudwick to describe what she meant, the victim said: "You just leave your body. You can't feel nothing. You just close your eyes and you're not there."

The victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, said she initially tried to nervously "laugh off" Tweed's advances as he kissed her neck and pushed her towards the window sill.

She also admitted kissing Tweed back at first, telling the jury of six men and six women she felt she had no choice.

But she said Tweed became "more heavy-handed" and the situation changed when Davis stood inside the bedroom and told Tweed: "Don't worry Jack, I've got the door, do what you've got to do."

Asked why she had kissed him back, she said: "I was scared. It was completely different now as the door was being held shut and in a way I felt like I had to."

The young woman did not push Tweed off or tell him to stop because she was "frozen with fear", the court heard.

"I wasn't able to physically move or say anything, or even function about what was going on," she said.

Asked how she felt, she added: "I couldn't feel anything."

The court heard Davis lied to her, telling her he only got out of prison a week earlier, which added to her fear, she said.

Tweed was interrupted as the victim's friends tried to get into the room, but Davis was holding the door, the court heard.

The victim said she walked towards the door but was asked where she was going.

"I said I wanted to leave," she said.

But Tweed stopped her and pushed her on to the bed underneath him, which made her even "more scared", the court heard.

"I felt not in control again," she said.

Asked why she told her friends, who were shouting through the door, that she was OK, she said: "Jack said to say, 'Yes'. I didn't know what would have happened if I didn't. It might have got violent."

She was then raped by both Tweed and Davis at the same time, the court heard.

She said she did not want to do it, did not do anything to suggest she wanted to do it and did not consent.

Earlier, the court was told the victim and her friends went to Tweed's house in Brandesbury Square, Repton Park, Woodford Green, east London, after a night out at the Embassy club in Mayfair.

The alleged victim was shy and "made it plain to both defendants that she was not interested in them sexually", Ms Strudwick said.

But Davis pushed her into a bedroom and called for Tweed to join him.

The court heard at first the young woman thought they were just "lads being lads".

But as she realised what was happening she became "frozen with fear".

Ms Strudwick said Tweed and Davis "were predatory and, whether they agreed this or not, they seemed to work together".

The court heard Davis lured the young woman into the bedroom by telling her: "Come and look at this."

Ms Strudwick said: "They shut the door and began to manhandle her.

"They were asking for 'a threesome'. She said 'No'. They started to pester her. They were touching her. They asked her for a threesome again and she said 'No'."

Ms Strudwick said: "She did not imagine that they had targeted her as the quiet one, the one they could bully into submission."

The prosecutor told the court even if Tweed thought for a moment that the victim's "silence, her frozen state" when he had sex with her on the window sill had been consent, she told him she wanted to leave before he pushed her on to the bed.

"He was preventing her and using force to push her on to the bed," she said.

"This was not a joke or a game."

The victim was "in a world of her own, trying to block out what was happening", Ms Strudwick said.

The court heard that, on the night of the alleged attack, Tweed drank five beers and "several" vodka lemonades while Davis had also drunk a "considerable amount".

The young woman had "drunk comparatively little" but took a small amount of cocaine at the club.

The court heard the young woman only escaped the bedroom when a friend of Tweed's opened the door.

She told the court: "I said that I wanted to go, that they had got what they wanted whether it was half way through or not.

"They were still saying 'no, we haven't finished'."

The court heard in an attempt to get free she told the men she would fetch another friend to join in.

But she said: "Anthony grabbed me and pushed me back on the bed. He got on top of me, trying to have sex with me."

After Tweed's friend interrupted them, she was able to leave the room.

But the court heard Davis made repeated attempts to talk to her as she waited to leave with her friends.

"He said that he was going to stab me in my face," she said, adding that when her friend complained, Davis said he was only joking.

The court heard on the way home in the car she eventually told her friends the two men had sex with her.

She said: "They said 'What, they raped you?' and I said 'yes'."

At first she did not want to go to the police, "because of my mum, because of who Jack Tweed is, I didn't think I would be listened to".

Ronald Jaffa, defending Tweed, suggested the woman was excited to be in the house of a celebrity.

He said: "You were going around looking in rooms. Were you looking for photographs of Jade Goody?"

She replied: "No."

She was asked why, when she was first interviewed by police, she had not been able to recall how she got into the bedroom.

She said: "I couldn't even speak properly because I was in shock."

Mr Jaffa said: "Is the reality here that when you said you had sex with Jack and Anthony that the girls were just horrified and that's why you were upset? Is that not actually the way it all came about?"

The woman replied: "No."

Tweed, who married Big Brother star Goody, 27, shortly before she lost her battle against cervical cancer in March 2009, wore a white jumper over a white shirt and appeared to listen intently to the proceedings.

Estate agent Davis, of Stradbroke Drive, Chigwell, Essex, wore a black suit and tie with a white shirt.

Tweed denies two counts of rape while Davis denies one count of the same charge. Both defendants are on bail.

The trial was adjourned to tomorrow.