Bomb scare at Birkenhead home sparks evacuation as Army called in

Merseyside Police installed a 100-metre cordon after the device was reported

Rachel Burnett
Monday 04 April 2016 23:31
comments

Dozens of people were evacuated from their homes after police discovered a suspected bomb in Birkenhead.

The suspicious device was found in an empty property in the town at around 5.30pm on Monday, but officials later said it had been a hoax.

Residents in Park Road East and Patterson Street, which backs onto the road, were moved to temporary accommodation after Merseyside Police installed a 100-metre cordon.

Bomb disposal experts from the Royal Logistical Corps were called to dispose of the suspected explosive.

A police spokesman said: “The Royal Logistical Corps have examined the device in the house in Park Road East and established that it is an imitation or hoax.”

The all-clear was announced at around 10.20pm and people returned to their homes shortly afterwards.

A police spokesman had earlier said the device was discovered by the landlord of a recently-vacated property that he had gone to check on at around 5.30pm.

The man reported his suspicions to the police and local officers closed the roads and evacuated homes within a 100-metre safety cordon.

PA

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments