While the demand for houses in London shows no sign of slowing, towns in the North have dominated a recent study to find the most desirable place to live and work in the country.
The study by the Centre for Economic and Business Research, commissioned by the Royal Mail, found Bebington, in Wirral, to be the most desirable postcode in England.
Neilston, in East Renfrewshire, came out on top in Scotland, while Morriston, in Swansea, was named as the most desirable place to live and work in Wales.
The survey looked at a range of factors including access to green spaces, employment prospects, affordable housing and schools to calculate which postcodes in the UK were the most desirable.
Towns in the North West dominated the list of locations in England, with seven postcodes in Wirral, Cumbria, Lancashire, Cheshire and Merseyside all receiving a name-check.
The highest placed southern area was Kesgrave, in Ispwich, while Dorchester, in West Dorset, was named as the sixth most desirable place to live in England.
According to the report, residents in Bebington 'enjoy the ideal balance' of high employment, good schools and living close to their place of work.
In Scotland, outer city suburbs featured heavily, which Royal Mail put down to the 'affordable cost of living, lower levels of crime and better schools'.
The top ten areas in Wales however were situated across the country – from outer city suburbs to seaside towns.
Craigavon, in County Armagh, was named the most desirable place to live in Northern Ireland.
Most desirable postcodes in England
1. CH63 – Bebington, Wirral
2. IP5 – Kesgrave, Ipswich
3. LA15 – Dalton-in-Furness, Cumbria
4. NR8 – Taverham, Norfolk
5. FY6 – Poulton-Le-Fylde, Lancashire
6. DT1 – Dorchester, West Dorset
7. WA1 – Warrington, Cheshire
8. CH62 – Eastham, Wirral
9. CH45 – Wallasey, Merseyside
10. LA13 – Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria
Most desirable postcodes in Scotland
1. G78 – Neilston, East Renfrewshire
2. G64 – Torrance, East Dunbartonshire
3. G66 – Lenzie/Kirkintilloch, East Dunbartonshire
4. G62 – Milngavie, East Dunbartonshire
5. G76 – Eaglesham, East Renfrewshire
6. G61 – Bearsden, East Dunbartonshire
7. G46 – Giffnock, East Renfrewshire
8. EH5 – Granton, Edinburgh
9. EH7 – Edinburgh central/Bellevue
10. EH11 – Edinburgh
Most desirable postcodes in Wales
1. SA6 – Morriston, Swansea
2. SA7 – Birchgrove, Swansea
3. CF64 – Penarth
4. SA61 – Haverfordwest
5. SA4 – Gorseinon, Swansea
6. LL55 – Caernarfon, Gwynedd
7. SA9 – Ystradgynlais, Swansea
8. SA31 – Carmarthen
9. CF24 – Roath, Cardiff
10. LL11 – Wrexham
Most desirable postcodes in Northern Ireland
1. BT64 – Craigavon, County Armagh
2. BT10 – Finaghy, Belfast
3. BT66 – Lurgan, County Armagh
4. BT16 – Dundonald, Belfast
5. BT38 – Carrickfergus, County Antrim
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies