The crowd stood in a minute’s silence at the vigil
Police have charged a man with three counts of murder following the attacks in Nottingham which left three dead.
Students Barnaby Webber and Grace O’Malley-Kumar, both aged 19, and Ian Coates, 65, were all fatally stabbed in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
Valdo Calocane, aged 31, of no fixed address, is also charged with three counts of attempted murder.
He will appear at Nottingham Magistrates’ Court on Saturday.
Chief Constable Kate Meynell, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “These charges are a significant development and arise as a result of our thorough investigation into these horrific incidents that occurred in our city.
“Our thoughts remain with the families and friends of all those affected by these attacks, and we will continue to provide support and reassurance.”
The University of Nottingham said in a statement on Thursday: “We are devastated that the suspect is a former University of Nottingham student. The police have confirmed that this is not believed to be connected with the attack.
Nottinghamshire Police said the suspect in the triple murder is a former University of Nottingham student although officers do not believe that to be connected with the attack.
The force applied to magistrates for an extension to question the 31-year-old man on Wednesday and were granted another 36 hours.
He was arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of murdering 19-year-olds Grace O’Malley-Kumar and Barnaby Webber, both University of Nottingham students, and primary school caretaker Ian Coates, 65.
The force added the suspect is believed to have made his way to a supported living complex in Mapperley Road after the attack on the students but was denied entry, an incident which had not been reported to police at the time.
He then allegedly continued on foot to Magdala Road where Mr Coates was killed and had his van stolen.
The force said in a statement: “We are still working alongside Counter-Terrorism Policing and keeping an open mind on the motives behind these attacks.”
A University of Nottingham statement added: “We are devastated that the suspect is a former University of Nottingham student. The police have confirmed that this is not believed to be connected with the attack.
“Our focus remains on supporting the family and friends of Barney and Grace and our wider community. You will understand that we are unable to comment on a live investigation, however we will continue to support the police in any way we can.”
Police vehicle was following van which collided with pedestrians, watchdog says
The Independent Office for Police Conduct has confirmed that a Nottinghamshire Police vehicle was following a van that collided with pedestrians in Nottingham on Tuesday morning, shortly after the attack which left three people dead.
The spokesperson said: “We received a referral from Nottinghamshire Police on Wednesday informing us that a marked police car had been following behind the suspect’s van for a short distance at the time it collided with two pedestrians in the area of Sherwood Street in the city centre on Tuesday morning.
“We are assessing the referral to decide what further action may be required of the IOPC.”
Suella Braverman visits tribute site
Suella Braverman has visited the site of tributes to the victims of the knife and van attack in Nottingham.
My colleague Holly Evans reports that the home secretary took no questions and spent around five minutes reading cards and notes on floral tributes.
Ms Braverman is due to attend a meeting with police chiefs for an update on the investigation and visit emergency services personnel to thank them for their response to the attacks.
House of Lords peers say Nottingham must be supported after attacks
Peers in Westminster have urged the government to ensure there is the right support for those affected by the attacks in Nottingham.
The Bishop of Durham, former Bishop of Southwell and Nottingham, emphasised the “strength of the local community” and urged for financial support to be offered to the university and to the city to help all those “not just in the immediate, but also in the coming weeks” with offering counselling.
Labour frontbencher Lord Coaker, a former MP in Nottinghamshire, pressed the government to ensure the police and city council have the “personnel, resources and support to deal with the immediate challenges they face and further challenges”.
He added: “Nottingham and Nottinghamshire is a proud, diverse city, with wonderful universities like Nottingham that Barnaby and Grace attended, good schools such as the one Mr Coates looked after, new industries, great sport and cultural activities, restaurants, a marvellous history and a remarkable public. That is the true Nottingham and we will not let evil define us.
“But, for the moment, we are united in our grief, in our mourning, in our shared sadness, as we wait for justice to be done.”
Peer assures parents that student hub remains a safe town
Tory peer Baroness Stowell of Beeston assured parents of Nottingham University students that Beeston, a town near the campus where many of them live, is a safe place.
She said: “The main campus of Nottingham University borders Beeston and, over the years, more students have chosen to live in the town.
“I feel that, alongside the heartfelt condolences of the people of Beeston to the family and friends of Barnaby Webber and Grace O’Malley-Kumar, that the people of Beeston would also want to reassure parents around the country, whose sons and daughters are studying at Nottingham may be living in Beeston, that it is a safe town and its residents offer students, wherever they come from, a warm welcome.”
‘We are so sorry’: Flowers laid in tribute close to where students were killed
My colleague Holly Evans reports that flowers have been laid in tribute on Ilkeston Road, close to where students Barnaby Webber and Grace Kumar were killed on Tuesday.
“We are so sorry this has happened to you on our streets,” reads the message from a local family on one bouquet.
University of Nottingham ‘devastated’ that suspect is former student
Here is the full statement from Nottingham University following the police’s revelation that the suspect currently held in custody is a former student.
The university said: “We are devastated that the suspect is a former University of Nottingham student.
“The police have confirmed that this is not believed to be connected with the attack.
“Our focus remains on supporting the family and friends of Barney and Grace and our wider community.
“You will understand that we are unable to comment on a live investigation, however we will continue to support the police in any way we can.”
Watch: Suella Braverman lays wreath in Nottingham
‘We are with you’: Home secretary lays tribute in city centre
Suella Braverman joined Nottinghamshire’s Conservative Police and Crime Commissioner Caroline Henry to add her own floral tribute to the collection outside Nottingham’s Council House on Thursday.
It carried a personal message to the victims’ families, saying: “We are with you.”
Ms Henry also left flowers in a tribute which, according to the Nottingham Post, read:“My thoughts are with the loved ones of Barnaby, Grace and Ian, following their tragic loss. Nottingham shares in your tragic shock and sorrow at this difficult time.”
Thousands wait for vigil to start
Thousands of people, many in red Nottingham Forest shirts, have arrived for a vigil.