Trump administration 'to announce plan to hold migrant children indefinitely in detention camps'

US government also says it will not vaccinate detained families ahead of flu season

Tom Embury-Dennis
Wednesday 21 August 2019 09:50
Comments
Mother of toddler who died in migrant detention centre speaks about conditions at border facilities

The Trump administration is reportedly set to announce a rule change which would allow the government to hold migrant families in detention camps indefinitely.

Currently, children crossing illegally into the US from Mexico can generally be held for a maximum of 20 days, a limit Donald Trump has blamed for encouraging undocumented families to arrive at the border.

Under the new rule, which would likely require court approval, the Department for Homeland Security (DHS) could hold children in detention for the entirety of their immigration proceedings, which can take months or even years.

The move could be made public on Wednesday, according to ABC News, which spoke to government officials on condition of anonymity.

The plan appears similar to a DHS proposal last year that would have scrapped some of the restrictions in a 1997 court settlement known as the Flores Settlement Agreement, which established among other things how long detained children can be held.

The proposal, which was not enacted at the time due to a surge of migrants arriving at the border, argued the government could terminate some of the restrictions, including the 20-day limit, if it could establish its own regulations.

NBC News reported Trump administration officials expect to be sued in court imminently by opponents to the plan.

The possible holding of children indefinitely comes following an announcement by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) that it will not vaccinate migrant families in detention ahead of this year’s flu season.

“In general, due to the short-term nature of CBP holding and the complexities of operating vaccination programmes, neither CBP nor its medical contractors administer vaccinations to those in our custody,” a CBP spokesperson told CNBC.

Having gone years under Barack Obama without any deaths of children while in US immigration custody, at least three juveniles have died in detention facilities in the past year alone under the Trump administration, doctors have said.

Earlier this year, Trump administration lawyers unsuccessfully argued in court it should be able to force detained migrant children to sleep on concrete floors and deprive them of soap and toothbrushes, in what amounted to another challenge to the 1997 Jenny Lisette Flores v Edwin Meese settlement.

DHS has been contacted for comment.

Register for free to continue reading

Registration is a free and easy way to support our truly independent journalism

By registering, you will also enjoy limited access to Premium articles, exclusive newsletters, commenting, and virtual events with our leading journalists

Already have an account? sign in

By clicking ‘Register’ you confirm that your data has been entered correctly and you have read and agree to our Terms of use, Cookie policy and Privacy notice.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy policy and Terms of service apply.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

Comments

Thank you for registering

Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in