Student who drank orange juice laced with magic mushrooms dies after jumping from hotel balcony

Tourist's friend unable to stop him leaping from fifth floor

Hermione Wright
Wednesday 10 May 2017 10:52
comments
Tourist Ong Chee Seng died after jumping from the fifth floor balcony
Tourist Ong Chee Seng died after jumping from the fifth floor balcony

A student has died after jumping from his hotel balcony while reportedly under the influence of magic mushrooms.

Tourist Ong Chee Seng, from Singapore, is said to have been drinking orange juice laced with the hallucinogens with a friend on Saturday at the Terrace Hotel in Bali, Indonesia.

Within moments of drinking the liquid, the 23-year-old was reportedly overwhelmed by the urge to jump from the fifth floor of their hotel room.

His friend, believed to be a classmate, attempted to hold Mr Ong back but he broke free and jumped to his death. He died instantly from his injuries.

According to the Tribun Bali, the victim and his friend had bought the mushrooms outside their hotel at approximately 6pm, before consuming them three hours later.

A security guard reportedly heard the sound of the student's fall like a “beaten object”, and found his body upon a search of the hotel premises.

A spokesperson for Singapore's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) said "the Singapore Embassy in Jakarta is rendering consular assistance to the family of the deceased Singaporean".

Magic mushrooms are classified as a Type 1 narcotic in Indonesia. The sale and consumption of the fungi in Bali is illegal, with authorities warning that if found guilty, offenders face prison terms of up to 12 years.

Mr Ong had reportedly just arrived in Singapore, with the hotel a seven-minute walk from popular tourist destination, Kuta Beach.

Police said they were investigating the circumstances around the death.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments