Ebola outbreak: Teenager in Australia being tested for disease after developing fever

An 18-year-old, who is understood to have moved to Queensland 11 days ago from Guinea, West Africa, is being tested for the virulent disease

Natasha Culzac
Sunday 26 October 2014 10:29
A teenager in Queensland, Australia, is being tested for Ebola after developing a fever
A teenager in Queensland, Australia, is being tested for Ebola after developing a fever

An 18-year-old woman in Australia is reportedly being tested for Ebola after she arrived from Guinea – one of the worst countries areas in Africa – and developed a fever.

She is now under surveillance at the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital (RBWH) 11 days after touching down in Queensland and after being in home isolation for that entire time.

The woman alerted authorities of her fever on Saturday and was taken to hospital today, while eight members of her family who also travelled to Australia with her remain in home quarantine.

It is understood that the family has emigrated to Australia from West Africa, where Ebola has killed almost 5,000 people since the beginning of this outbreak, but are not thought to have come into contact with an Ebola patient.

The family had been monitored on arrival due to Guinea “being an area that had a reasonably large numbers of cases”, an Australian health official said.

In a press conference today, Queensland's Chief Medical Officer, Dr Jeanette Young, said: “[The woman] has been in home quarantine since the time she arrived in Queensland”.

According to SBS, Dr Young added: “We'd been notified ... a few days prior to their arrival in the country, so we had processes in place to meet them at the airport.”

The other members of the family – two further adults and six children – are understood to be doing well, while the teenager is apparently not showing any other signs other than fever.

She was not a health worker in her previous home country and the family had emigrated as part of the Federal Government’s humanitarian refugee program, Perth Now reports.

Nobody on her flight to Australia was in danger, health authorities said, because she had not been displaying any symptoms. The results of the test should come back tomorrow.

Meanwhile, an Australian man living in Thailand is being monitored after reportedly travelling home from the Democratic Republic of Congo - where a number of people have died from the disease. He was found to have a high temperature at Bangkok airport and was ordered to stay at home.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments