Teenage girl dies after dropping phone into bath while charging it

‘Relaxing like this is like playing Russian roulette’

Jane Dalton
Tuesday 19 March 2019 14:42
Teenage girl dies after dropping phone into bath while charging it

A schoolgirl has died after being electrocuted when she dropped her mobile phone that was on charge into the bath, according to local media reports.

Yulia Vysotskaya, 14, was listening to music on the phone while she was in the bath at her home in Cheboksary, near Moscow.

It’s believed that when the phone fell from her hands, it sent a live current into the water. The teenager lost consciousness from the electric shock before she drowned, Russian medical sources said.

Her parents called an ambulance but she was declared dead at the scene.

Investigators said they would carry out a forensic medical examination and look into exactly how it happened.

It is thought to be the third incident of its kind in the country in the past year, despite repeated warnings about charging phones near water.

Last year, a 15-year-old girl and a 12-year-old were killed in separate cases.

In 2017 another 14-year-old was electrocuted while using her mobile in the bath at home in New Mexico. Madison Coe died after touching the frayed extension cord she was using to charge the phone.

Electronics engineer Andrey Stanovsky said: “To relax in the bath with a mobile phone connected to the charger is like playing Russian roulette.”

Support free-thinking journalism and attend Independent events