Liveupdated1634210576

Norway bow and arrow attack - live: Man accused of killing five ‘had shown signs of radicalisation’

Latest developments as they happen

Several dead in Kongsberg after man shoots people with bow and arrows near Oslo

Police in Norway have confirmed the man charged with killing five people and injuring two others in a bow and arrow attack was a Muslim convert it was previously concerned about over signs of radicalisation.

"There earlier had been worries of the man having been radicalised," Police chief Ole B Saeverud told a press conference.

The man, who was not further identified, has confessed to going on a rampage in Kongsberg, southwest of the capital Oslo, prosecutor Ann Iren Svane Matthiassen said, adding he was was questioned overnight.

The victims were four women and one man between the ages of 50 and 70, Saeverud added. The man is suspected of having shot at people in a number of locations in the town of Kongsberg on Wednesday evening

In a statement, police said the suspect is a 37-year-old Danish citizen who lives in Kongsberg.

Police prosecutor Ann Irén Svane Mathiassen said other weapons were used during the incident, without giving additional details of the weapons, Norwegian news agency NTB was told.

1634210565

Live updates will be paused

Thank you for following The Independent’s live updates on the Norway bow and arrow attacks. Updates will be paused to be resumed at a later time.

Investigations into the attack are ongoing.

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 12:22
1634208264

‘Possible’ that all killings happened after police arrived on the scene of the attack

Kongsberg police has said that it’s “reasonably clear” that some of the killings took place after the police confronted the suspect.

They added that it was “possible” all the killings took place after the initial confrontation where the suspect escaped police detainment.

Police were alerted of reports that a man was shooting a bow and arrow at people at 6.12pm and subsequently made contact with the attacker at 6.18pm. Officers were then shot by several arrows, causing them to lose contact with the attacker who was able to get away.

29 minutes after the initial confrontation, police apprehended the attacker and arrested him at 6.47pm.

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 11:44
1634206635

Victims not formally identified, police say

According to Kongsberg police, the five victims of the attack on Wednesday evening have not yet been formally identified, but relatives have been notified “as a reservation.”

Police chief Ole Bredrup Saeverud said officers are still investigating the incident and currently believe there is no one else connected with the attack.

Investigations are ongoing into the attack

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 11:17
1634204701

‘It feels weird, unreal’ says Kongsberg resident following attack

Silje Limstrand, a 22-year-old kindergarten employee was on her way to Coop supermarket on Wednesday evening, the location where the attack started reportedly, when police stopped her from going further due to the attack.

"It feels weird, unreal. Kongsberg is a small town where you feel so safe ... It is scary," she said, adding she had not seen the suspect of any of his victims.

"It's scary to think that I was there at the same time as the suspect," she told Reuters.

Police work near the site of the attack

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 10:45
1634203490

4 women among victims of Norway bow and arrow attack

Police confirmed that four women and a man were among the victims of the Norway bow and arrow attack.

The ages of all the victims were between 50 and 70-years-old.

The man, who was not further identified, has confessed to going on a rampage in Kongsberg, southwest of the capital Oslo, prosecutor Ann Iren Svane Matthiassen said, adding he was was questioned overnight.

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 10:24
1634202533

Kongsberg church opens doors to public following attack

Kongsberg church has announced it has opened its doors to the public following the bow and arrow attacks in the city on Wednesday.

“The church will be open from 9.00am for everyone who needs someone to talk to, be with, light a candle, or just be quiet,” the church wrote on its Facebook page.

Parish priest Reidar Aasbø the news adding: “The entire Kongsberg community is affected by this. Now, we’ll stand together and take care of each other,” the church wrote on its website.

Police have confirmed the suspect was previously a person of concern because radicalisation fears

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 10:08
1634201275

BREAKING: Suspect in bow-and-arrow killings had shown signs of radicalisation, police say

A Danish man who is in custody in Norway suspected of carrying out a bow-and-arrow attack which killed five people is a Muslim convert who had previously been flagged as having being radicalised, police said.

“There earlier had been worries of the man having been radicalised,” Police chief Ole B Saeverud told a press conference.

Our reporter Thomas Kingsley has the full story:

Norway attack suspect had been radicalised, say police

Four of those killed were women, officers said

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 09:47
1634199151

Police prosecutor confirms several weapons were used in attack

Police prosecutor Ann Irén Svane Mathiassen confirmed that other weapons were used during the incident, without giving additional details of the weapons, Norwegian news agency NTB were told.

Police said they confirmed information about the suspect because of “rumours circulating on social media about possible perpetrators.”

Police investigating the attack on Wednesday evening

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 09:12
1634197726

Attack is worst in Norway since 2011

The bow and arrow attack is Norway’s deadliest since far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik murdered 77 people on the island of Utoya in July 2011.

Most of the victims were at a children’s Labour Party summer camp on the island.

Police have confirmed that they are investigating whether this attack is linked to terrorism.

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 08:48
1634196688

Man charged in connection to bow and arrow killings

A man has been charged with the killing of five people and injuring two others with a bow and arrow.

In a statement, police said the suspect is a 37-year-old Danish citizen who lives in Kongsberg. No other details were released.

The suspect was apprehended after the attack on Wednesday night in the town, which is 50 miles south-west of the country’s capital, Oslo.

Our reporter Thomas Kingsley has the full report:

Danish man charged after five killed in bow and arrow attack in Norway

Two victims are fighting for life in intensive care

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 08:31

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments