Paris attacks live: Death toll rises to 130 after victim dies of injuries - as it happened

The UNHCR said a Syrian passport was 'left to be seen' by a suicide bomber as part of an Isis plot to sow discord in Europe

Lizzie Dearden@lizziedearden
Friday 20 November 2015 09:15
comments
The 8 rue du Corbillon building in Saint-Denis, one day after special police raided an apartment with suspected terrorists, in northern Paris
The 8 rue du Corbillon building in Saint-Denis, one day after special police raided an apartment with suspected terrorists, in northern Paris

Salah Abdeslam and a mystery ninth gunman remain at large today on the one-week anniversary of the Paris attacks. Here are the latest updates:

Please allow a moment for the live blog to load

Interior ministers in the European Union have supported moves to tighten security measures at the external borders of the Schengen area amid concerns jihadists are exploiting the refugee crisis to "slip in" to Europe.

Bernard Cazeneuve said it was "urgent that Europe wakes up, organises itself and defends itself against the terrorist threat" after it emerged that one of the Paris attackers entered the EU on a refugee boat in Greece.

Police have confirmed the death of the supposed “mastermind” of the attacks, Abdelhamid Abaaoud, who died during a police raid in Saint-Denis on Wednesday.

His cousin, Hasna Aitboulahcen, blew herself up as officers closed in, becoming Europe’s first female suicide bomber, and the body of another unidentified woman was found in the rubble overnight.

Former Bataclan owner wants show to go on after Paris attacks

Seven other people were arrested in connection with the raid and authorities said the heavily-armed cell was planning further attacks on Charles de Gaulle airport and the Paris’ financial district, La Defense.

The lower house of the French parliament has voted to extend a state of emergency for three months and the measure is expected to be approved in the Senate.

Air strikes continue against the group’s stronghold in Syria, with 35 Isis targets being destroyed in the last week according to the French military.

Meanwhile, a high state of alert continues across Europe amid reports of further terror plots.

Italian authorities are searching for five suspects following a US State Department warning that St Peter's Basilica in Rome, Milan's cathedral and La Scala opera house, as well as churches, synagogues, restaurants, theatres and hotels had been identified as “potential targets”.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments