American Kathryn Mayorga alleges she was raped by Ronaldo in June of 2009. The lawsuit, filed last week, says Ms Mayorga, from Nevada, asked police to reinvestigate the criminal case, with Las Vegas police confirming on Monday they have reopened a sexual assault case from 2009 that corresponds with the date of Ms Mayorga’s allegation.
Ronaldo has strenuously denied the claims indicating his conscience is "clear".
Uefa, for whom Ronaldo is a brand ambassador for their Equal Game campaign, have confirmed to The Independent they are monitoring developments but stopped short of an official statement.
Sportswear giant Nike, who have had a contract with the player since 2003, say they are "deeply concerned" while gaming firm EA Sports, who included him on the cover of the FIFA 19 video game, say they "expect cover athletes and ambassadors to conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with EA's values.”
Juventus have however backed Ronaldo, who was left out of Portugal’s squad for their forthcoming international matches, saying: “Ronaldo has shown in recent months his great professionalism and dedication, which is appreciated by everyone at Juventus.
“The events allegedly dating back to almost 10 years ago do not change this opinion, which is shared by anyone who has come into contact with this great champion.”
Charity Save the Children has also expressed its concern at the recent allegations, becoming the first of the Juve star's partners to comment on the ongoing case.
A spokesperson told The Independent: “We are disheartened by the news report we’ve seen in the last 24 hours and are working to get more information.”
Ronaldo has represented the charity since 2016. According to the organisation’s website: “Ronaldo lends his voice and visibility to spotlight issues facing child refugees and all vulnerable children around the globe.”
The Independent has contacted a number of Ronaldo’s commercial partners in light of the accusations.
Additional reporting by Associated Press.