Championship round-up: QPR return to the top as 10-man Huddersfield sunk by Reading and Derby continue winning run

A round up of Saturday's Championship action

Nick Purewal
Saturday 14 December 2013 18:54
Dave Nugent scores from the spot in the days early kick-off between Leicester and Burnley
Dave Nugent scores from the spot in the days early kick-off between Leicester and Burnley

Queens Park Rangers capitalised on Burnsley's 1-1 draw at Leicester to sneak top of the Sky Bet Championship with 2-0 victory at Blackpool.

Matt Phillips and Charlie Austin claimed the second-half goals that guided Harry Redknapp's men to the win, and a two-point cushion at the top of the table.

Leicester led Burnley 1-0 at half-time in Saturday's early kick off, thanks to David Nugent's (pictured) penalty.

Burnley striker Danny Ings headed against a post before the break, but quickly levelled with his 16th goal of the season after the interval, burying a right-footed shot after Kieran Trippier's cross.

Derby's 2-0 win at Pride Park over Charlton kept Steve McClaren's men fourth in the table.

Jamie Ward's first-half free kick and a late finish from Craig Bryson were enough for all three points.

Billy Sharp's headed goal guided Reading to a 1-0 win at Huddersfield, that keeps the Royals fifth in the standings and one point ahead of Leeds.

Huddersfield defender Joel Lynch was sent off at the death in a frustrating afternoon for the hosts that leaves them 12th in the league.

Matt Smith, Ross McCormack and Rodolph Austin were all on target as Leeds overwhelmed struggling Doncaster 3-0.

Ipswich's run of three-straight league wins came to a frustrating end at Nottingham Forest, as the sides played out a 0-0 draw.

Middlesbrough and Brighton's Riverside Stadium clash looked to be heading the same way, when Matthew Upson popped up to claim a 1-0 victory for the visitors with a goal in the 86th minute.

Blackburn held off Milwall's late surge to claim a 3-2 home victory.

Striker Jordan Rhodes, Ben Marshall and replacement David Dunn registered the crucial strikes.

Martyn Waghorn's 42nd-minute equaliser handed Millwall half-time hope, but Marshall and Dunn opened up a two-goal home lead.

Steve Morison's goal four minutes from time raised hopes of a comeback, but Blackburn clung on.

Connor Wickham's free-kick goal was enough to guide Sheffield Wednesday to 1-0 victory at Watford, but still leaves the Yorkshire side in the relegation zone.

Andrew Shinnie's first league goal for Birmingham City set the Blues on their way to 2-0 victory at Bournemouth.

Nikola Zigic's 34th-minute strike had the points all but wrapped up inside the first half.

Relegation battlers Barnsley and Yeovil fought out a 1-1 draw at Oakwell.

Joel Grant stole a 10th-minute lead for the visitors, only for Marcus Tudgay to secure a point for Barnsley with a penalty.


Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments