John Terry has revealed he is "fighting for his family" in his bid to land a new contract with Chelsea after getting his hands on the 13th trophy of his Blues career.
34-year-old Terry lifted the Capital One Cup on Sunday evening after scoring the opening goal in the 2-0 win over Tottenham at Wembley, but he is only contracted to the club until the end of the season.
The prospect of Terry leaving seems unthinkable given he has been a linchpin of the Chelsea defence since taking on the armband in 2004 following the retirement of Marcel Desaiilly. However, the former England captain, who this week ruled out a return to international football after shaking hands with the Three Lions' manager Roy Hodgson on Sunday, admitted that he is determined to prove his critics wrong.
"I am fighting for myself and my family, and to prove people wrong," Terry said.
"It doesn't come much bigger than that. I want to give it everything.
"I don't know how long I have left. Hopefully I have a few years left but if this is my last year then I hope it will go out on a bang.
"I have my little target to play next year but beyond that, two or three years (more), I don't know."
Terry signed his current deal 48 hours after the end of last season when Mourinho returned to Stamford Bridge - and he could be made to wait until the end of the current campaign before a new deal is negotiated, with there being little rush to sign a deal as Terry is unlikely to seek a move elsewhere while the chance to stay at Chelsea is on the table.
"The uncertainty has helped me positively, not having four or five years (under contract) as you get older.
"The roles have reversed and now the power is in the club's hands. That has inspired me."
Terry admitted his emotions were stirred on hearing the national anthem at Wembley, but he has no plans to reconsider his retirement from England duty.
He retired from international football in 2012 after being banned for four matches by the Football Association, despite being cleared at Westminster Magistrates Court of making a racist insult to then QPR defender Anton Ferdinand, brother of his long-time England central defensive partner Rio.
Asked if he was considering an England return, Terry, who earned 78 caps, added: "No. It's the simple answer, I don't want to go into it right now.
"Being back at Wembley, the atmosphere, the stadium, it's one of the best I have played in, but it's never crossed my mind.
"I have drawn a line under it and the England squad can move on now."
Meanwhile, police are examining mobile phone footage following reports of racist and abusive behaviour by Chelsea fans on a train on Sunday night.
British Transport Police (BTP) said they were called to meet the London to Manchester train as it entered Stoke station, and asked four men to leave. Four others left of their own accord.
A Chelsea spokesman told Press Association Sport: "We are aware of the reports but it is not clear at this time if this incident involves Chelsea supporters.
"If it did then we will assist the British Transport Police with their inquiries."
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies