Manchester United transfer news: Paul Pogba deal could be finalised today as Jurgen Klopp hits out against spending

All the latest transfer stories from Old Trafford on Friday 29 July

Samuel Lovett
Friday 29 July 2016 08:19
comments
Paul Pogba endured a mixed Euro 2016 campaign for France
Paul Pogba endured a mixed Euro 2016 campaign for France

Paul Pogba continues to dominate the headlines and his world-record move to Manchester United has taken its biggest step yet towards completion.

The Frenchman flew from Miami to Los Angeles on Thursday night to undergo a medical, and it's now been reported that the transfer could be finalised by tonight.

Italian newspaper La Stampa has suggested that the deal will be confirmed once Pogba's medical in LA is completed later today. Pogba will then undergo a full evaluation back in Manchester at a later date.

Summer 2016 Transfer Window - Done deals and rumours

As well as this, it seems that Mino Raiola's agent fee could be set to change. It had been initially suggested that Raiola would receive £20m but the Italian reports have claimed that he will now settle for a £10m payout.

Ahead of this development, it emerged on Wednesday that United had finally met Juventus’ £92m asking price after offering an initial £80m that was rejected.

It was claimed that Raiola had also cancelled an original medical due to disagreement over who would pay his fees, but the breakthrough in Wednesday’s negotiations has subsequently opened the door to a medical on the US west coast.

Unsurprisingly, the expected £112m transfer fee has raised a few eyebrows, with Jurgen Klopp in particular hitting out against United’s lavish spending.

“Other clubs can go out and spend more money and collect top players. I want to do it differently. I would even do it differently if I could spend that money,” he said.

“If I spend money, it is because I am trying to build a team, a real team. Barcelona did it. You can win championships, you can win titles, but there is a manner in which you want it.”

Back at Old Trafford, Bastian Schweinsteiger looks set to be axed as the first big-name casualty under Jose Mourinho, according to the Daily Express.

The German did not train with United’s first-team squad on Thursday and was absent from training footage released by the club.

It’s thought the midfielder has been told he can leave the club 12 months after signing from Bayern Munich in a £6.5m deal.

It’s expected Schweinsteiger will be joined by a handful of younger players who have also been told they can pursue the option of first-team football elsewhere.

Loading....

According to the Sun, Mourinho has told a total of nine players that they can leave in anticipation of Paul Pogba’s arrival.

Tyler Blackett, 22, and James Wilson, 20, will be allowed to leave, along with Will Keane, 23, who has already been linked with a move to David Moyes’ Sunderland.

Join our new commenting forum

Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies

View comments