Manchester United have confirmed that Radamel Falcao has no future at the club.
Reports on Sunday morning suggested the Colombian striker had been told by Old Trafford officials that they would not take up the option to sign him on a permanent basis following his season-long loan from Monaco.
When he was not even named on the bench by manager Louis van Gaal for the final match of the season, away against Hull City, the writing was on the wall. And now Manchester United have confirmed the news.
"Radamel Falcao has returned to AS Monaco following a season-long loan spell at Manchester United," a statement read on the club's website.
"The 29-year-old Colombian striker joined the Reds on transfer deadline day in September, initially on a temporary basis and with an option to make the move permanent.
"He made 29 appearances and scored four goals during nine months at Old Trafford, and he departs with the best wishes of the manager and everyone at the club."
Falcao arrived amid much fanfare on transfer deadline day last summer, with the club having appeared to have pulled off a coup to sign the highly respected hitman.
However, he failed to make much of an impact, scoring just four goals during his time at the club. A combination of his poor goal return and fee of £43.2m resulted in the decision.
Louis van Gaal told the club's official website: "Falcao is a top professional and a good human being. On behalf of myself and everyone at the club I would like to wish him well for the future."
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies