Imagine the best beach in Europe and the last place on your mind is probably a soggy beach on British shores.
Nevertheless, Woolacombe in Devon has not only ranked as the top beach in Britain, but also in the top five beaches in Europe.
In a list compiled by TripAdvisor, the family friendly stretch of sand has been revealed to be the fourth best beach in Europe. Beating the British surfing hotspot to the top was Rabbit Beach on the Italian isle of Lampedusa, Playa de Ses Illetes in Spain, and Elafonissi Beach in Greece.
In a review of Woolacombe on TripAdvisor, Dionne H said: “Our family’s favourite beach for lazy days in the summer and welly stomping in the winter.”
Missesbananas added: “One of my favourite places in the UK. Beautiful beach which is always so clean and local people are just lovely.”
Woolacombe beach currently has 1,005 reviews on the travel website, 835 of which are ranked ‘excellent’. Weymouth Beach in Dorset also made it into the top 10 European beaches, coming in eighth place.
Here are the top 10 beaches in Europe, based on TripAdvisor reviews:
1. Rabbit Beach, Lampedusa, Island of Sicily, Italy
2. Playa de Ses Illetes, Formentera, Balearic Islands, Spain
3. Elafonissi Beach, Elafonissi, Greece
4. Woolacombe Beach, Devon, United Kingdom
5. Iztuzu Beach, Dalyan, Turkey
6. Fig Tree Bay, Protaras, Cyprus
7. Cala Rossa, Favignana, Island of Sicily, Italy
8. Weymouth Beach, Dorset, United Kindom
9. Eggremni Beach, Lefkada, Ionian Islands, Greece
10. Playa de Bolonia, Tarifa, Spain
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies