Bordeaux has been named the world’s best city, according to Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2017 list.
Known for its occasionally left-field choices, Lonely Planet highlighted the French city’s new wine-themed visitor experience, the Cité du Vin, its “gastronomic revolution” and forthcoming high-speed rail line as reasons it had been bestowed the title.
Second on the list was Cape Town, thanks to new cultural attractions such as the forthcoming Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa, while in third place was Los Angeles, which has undergone a subway expansion and has almost 50 new hotels in the works.
The top 10 cities, according to Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel
1. Bordeaux, France Find Hotels
2. Cape Town, South Africa Find Hotels
3. Los Angeles, US Find Hotels
4. Mérida, Mexico Find Hotels
5. Ohrid, Macedonia Find Hotels
6. Pistoia, Italy Find Hotels
7. Seoul, South Korea Find Hotels
8. Lisbon, Portugal Find Hotels
9. Moscow, Russia Find Hotels
10. Portland (Oregon), US Find Hotels
Lonely Planet also lists the top 10 countries, with Canada, Colombia and Finland took the top three spots.
Join our new commenting forum
Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies